Maker Pro
Maker Pro

555 timers

spaceman

Nov 5, 2016
IM looking for a source of 555 timers that I can salvage from other equipment. Does anybody know if television remotes contain said timers or any other electrical contrivances? Seeing how they are such a common electronic part it should be able to be sourced. I don't want to have to pay for them . thanks

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
You didn't specify if you need the old DIP (dual-in-line package) style or surface mount.
The new gear almost exclusively uses surface mount (SMD).
They've been around for so long (the DIP packages), that there are plenty of them available at
what I consider to be an inexpensive price, that I'd go with new ones. The more you buy, usually you
can get a discounted price for them.
If you're determined not to pay for them, good luck finding used ones (and you won't be sure that they
they all work if you salvage used ones from something).

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You didn't specify if you need the old DIP (dual-in-line package) style or surface mount.

That about the old metal can variant?

spaceman

Nov 5, 2016
that info helps. I was unaware there are two styles. I want to make an led strobe flashlight. I'm not concerned if the final product is cumbersome as I plant to use the traditional D cell flashlight as a housing for project.Can you post some close up pics of both styles? It will help looking through my rats nests of parts. thanks

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
As *steve* pointed-out there are 3 different style packages. The metal can packages are the most expensive.
Google pictures of the LM555, we help where we can, but you have to do some of your own leg-work.
You can get an LM555 in a DIP package for less than .50 cents from a lot of places.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
You must value your time very lowly. 555 timers cost about 20 cents.

Bob

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
You must value your time very lowly. 555 timers cost about 20 cents.

Bob

indeed !!

@spaceman ..... you will spend / waste more time aka money finding and recovering them from boards

and even if they were as much as $1, still cheaper just to buy them

spaceman

Nov 5, 2016
Google pictures of the LM555, we help where we can, but you have to do some of your own leg-work.
I went on web and found out they are in joysticks. All I wanted was to know is were I could find them. Its a question that gets asked over and over again on forums by hobbyist. We are here to help each other and not berate others.
What if I had asked for a mirror for a cadillac? Would you have said " go find it yourself"
??? That s just rude.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Where they are most cheaply and reliably found is an electronic component retailer.

And its not impolite of us to tell you to google for the information. We are not your slaves. We told you how to find the images.

As for 555s being used in joysticks, its not something I've come across. They are a very common hobbyist chip, but while its not unusual to see one in commercial equipment, there are many ways of doing what a 555 does, so it's impossible to say you'll always find one in a certain device.

Herschel Peeler

Feb 21, 2016
IM looking for a source of 555 timers that I can salvage from other equipment. Does anybody know if television remotes contain said timers or any other electrical contrivances? Seeing how they are such a common electronic part it should be able to be sourced. I don't want to have to pay for them . thanks

Most likely any commercial product built with an old DIP 555 is on the junk pile by now.
Where are you at that a 555 is difficult to come by or expensive?
You are state side?
Are you a student or just a hobbyist?

spaceman

Nov 5, 2016
I don't have credit card to pay for pay pal. E bay requires bank account or credit card to do transactions.
I can only pay by cash or money order. I am hobbyist.

Herschel Peeler

Feb 21, 2016
I don't have credit card to pay for pay pal. E bay requires bank account or credit card to do transactions.
I can only pay by cash or money order. I am hobbyist.

Don't buy them on e-bay. Electronics distributors are more reliable. Kameco Electronics. DgiKey. Mouser Electronics, Electronic Goldmine ...

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
But Ebay is much cheaper for small quantities and often you can get free shipping.

Yes, you might get some counterfeits, but I have not had this experience yet.

Bob

Herschel Peeler

Feb 21, 2016
But Ebay is much cheaper for small quantities and often you can get free shipping.

Yes, you might get some counterfeits, but I have not had this experience yet.

Bob

I don't buy many electronics parts from e-bay. You are probably right about price.

Herschel Peeler

Feb 21, 2016
I am located close to Oakland, Maryland USA

Mail order companies should accept money orders. It sucks to only need a dollar or two of parts to meet a minimum order of $10.00 but you can usually find something you can use.

Electronic Goldmine and Jameco Electronics are my favorites. DigiKey and Mouser tend to be oriented toward manufacturers who buy in quantity. All these have free catalogs.