Connect with us

555 timer problem

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by robertbarron, Apr 8, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. robertbarron

robertbarron

Jan 17, 2016
    The 555 monostable requires a low going edge to "trigger" it. If this signal remains low it will affect the timing since the "threshold" signal is ignored whilst the trigger signal remains low.
    I need any simple way to take a low going trigger signal and convert it to a quick down up signal irrespective of how long the initial signal remains low. I have been playing around with simple RC circuits but without an oscilloscope I cannot get one to work.

2. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    Use a capacitor on the Trig input, like this:
    Short-trigger.PNG

3. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    The internal trip point for the Trigger input is Vcc/3. The time for the capacitor to charge up to this is approx. 0.4 x R x C. As long as this is shorter than the output pulse (I'd say 25% for margin), the output timing will not be affected.

ak

4. robertbarron

robertbarron

Jan 17, 2016

5. robertbarron

robertbarron

Jan 17, 2016
    Thanks for trying to sort this out - but, as I said in the question, my trigger pulse IS longer than the monostable timed period and I was wanting the high to low transition to change to a high-low-high pulse so the monostable works properly even though the "switch" used kept a low output.

6. robertbarron

robertbarron

Jan 17, 2016
    Thanks a lot Alec. I have tried all versions of your circuit but this one got by me. Again many thanks for setting me straight.

7. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    Although my post is brilliant, it is too succinct for its own good.

Alec's post shows a differentiating network capacitor C1 and resistor R2, to shorten a long input pulse into a short triggering pulse. My post describes how to calculate C1 and R2 based on the output pulse width you want to be shorter than.

ak

Ask a Question