Maker Pro
Maker Pro

50cm floor fan troubleshooting

Anfo

May 11, 2017
Hi everyone

Trying to isolate the cause of why a household quality 50cm floor fan (not pedestal) has stopped working. Preliminary research indicates that is perhaps not a spindle issue, as it seems to turn without resistance.
I've dismantled down to the motor but not knowing how a stator and rotor are meant to look is a little beyond me.
May I request any experienced people from assisting me to revive the fan without adding it to landfill please?
See link for my progress.
https://imgur.com/a/m7QaM8I

Richard

Last edited:

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
Check continuity in the wires entering the motor and continuity in the wires at the speed selector switch Some have a thermal protector in a 'spaguetti' tube joined to the motor windings that often fails open circuit. The switch can fail too.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Hi everyone

Trying to isolate the cause of why a household quality 50cm floor fan (not pedestal) has stopped working. Preliminary research indicates that is perhaps not a spindle issue, as it seems to turn without resistance.
AS well as above........
If you can hear a slight buzz when turned on, most likely the capacitor. (black square device in terminal cover).
Windings look ok.

Anfo

May 11, 2017
Hi guys
Thank you for your interest in my problem. Before I check continuity as advised, may I ask whether the burnt look on the wire ends is a normal consequence of use?
See image:
https://imgur.com/a/NX8H2Ue

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Doesn't look too good but is imho no cause for concern.
The brown coloring is a result of thermal stress. Maybe the soldering within these sleeves is bad - which could also be the reason for maloperation of the fan. Retract the sleeves (you'll have to cut the yarn that holds them together) and inspect the connections.