Connect with us

480v SSR issue (Leakage I think)

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by rbrooks, Jan 16, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. rbrooks

rbrooks

May 17, 2012
    Hello. I have an Automation Direct 480V SSR (AD-SSR10-DC-480A) which switches with 3-32v and has (According to the datasheet) 1ma leakage current.

I'm trying to switch a motor starter (Relay) made by AEG, an XLS05-E0-IN. Even completely removing input power (Disconnecting) the AEG starter remains engaged. I'm making the assumption that the reset current or voltage is too high and the leakage on the AMD relay is keeping it on.

The assumption is that I need a bleeder resistor, and I'm having a hard time specifying what that resistor needs to be. I found a formula on the Omron page:

R < (load reset voltage/(leakage current - load reset current)).

Fine and dandy, but the AEG motor starter docs don't have the reset current or voltage anywhere. I'm tempted to just ballpark a high wattage 10k resistor and see what happens, but I've been trying to make this an educated guess.

The pdf for the SSR is http://www.automationdirect.com/static/specs/ssclass6relays.pdf

The pdf for the specific contactor is http://www.eecontrols.com/documents/Pages41-50.pdf

Perhaps I just don't know what to look for, but it seems like the values I need are lacking.

Thanks in advance.

2. GonzoEngineer

GonzoEngineer

Dec 2, 2011
    Interesting, I had the same problem just last week driving a solenoid for a high voltage relay at 240VAC.

I would suggest a 100K, 3 watt resistor. (30K worked for me at 240VAC)

3. rbrooks

rbrooks

May 17, 2012
    Thanks for the input. Any science behind it or just sorta a standard 'what works'?

4. jcurrie

jcurrie

Feb 22, 2011
    have you confermed the leakage current? been a long time since i messed with this type of starter but find it hard to belive that 1ma would keep contacts closed .
    jc

5. rbrooks

rbrooks

May 17, 2012
    No, just the datasheet. Both iterations list 1ma and 10ma, so I can't believe it's much more than 10ma. They're internally snubbed relays and we've completely removed power (And grounded) from the input yet it still remained in the on state.

6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I've had a situation where the series capacitance (caused by an overly ambitious snubber) allowed enough current through to power the device (it is a very small motor).

And, do we have a capacitance in series with an inductance?

Ask a Question