Connect with us

4 kW DC excited synchronous motor

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by luc28, Mar 10, 2018.

1. luc28

luc28

Mar 10, 2018
    Hi,

for a project at my university, I am currently searching for an electric motor with the following specifications:
    • synchronous 3-phase motor
    • power of around 4 kW
    • DC-excited (important!!)
    We actually want to use it as a generator.
    During the whole last week, I already searched a lot of sites and a lot of manufacturers, but I was unable to find any motor meeting all the requirements. Either they are permanent-excited models or they have a larger power rating.

Could anybody point me in the right direction, to a manufacturer or supplier maybe?

Thanks,

Luc

2. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    You don;t say whether voltage is important?
    If this is just for demonstration/exercise purposes you could look at a automotive alternator, bit low on the desired, current but another source is shipboard alternators.
    M.

3. luc28

luc28

Mar 10, 2018
    The voltage is the standard european one, so 380V phase-to-phase, or 220V phase to ground.

4. WHONOES

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
    A car alternator would be single phase but I guess you could run 3 together but then there would be issues with phase relationship.

5. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    Never seen a 1ph auto alternator??
    All the ones I have owned in the UK and N.A. are all 3 phase, this for some decades now..
    The OP is looking for a high voltage version evidently..
    M.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  6. WHONOES

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
    Fair enough. I do know though that it is possible to get substantial voltages from car alternators.

7. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    If you run the field unregulated you can easily achieve in excess of 50vDC, I have done a few bench exercises with them.
    As is normal in many generators, I tried to use self excitation but did not work.
    M.

Ask a Question