Connect with us

3D Printer

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Members Lounge' started by donkey, Nov 22, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    anyway I have been super lazy lately and not posted much. nearly got a reprap 3d printer going just calibration to go. anyway in the next few weeks you will probably see a few more posts plus a few crazy ideas and some stuff I print.
    hopefully I am one step closer to building an autonomous robot that will rule the world and take orders from only me..... or a gi joe... whatever is easier

2. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    What?
    You've been DOING electronics work, instead of just talking about it here?

3. Ian

Ian Administrator

Aug 23, 2006
    I'd love to see what you do with your 3D printer!

I was looking at them just yesterday as I really want one, but don't know if I can justify the cost... but I am tempted :D. There are some Makerbot Replicator 2 clones out there that look like very good value.

What are your thoughts on it so far?

4. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    well a certain unnamed person from this very forum has done most of the work for me. I just bought the items. all up will cost bout $400 au but am hoping to make a better one. if anyone wants to make a heatbed for me and let me know the cost it would help immensely as time is a factor.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-3D-P...uters_Printer_Accessories&hash=item4179a15b10
    that link is to the standard heatbed and with an overall size of 214mm squared minus the area taken for screw holes you can see printing a long object is tough.
    oh shrtrnd I thought bout talking bout it..... but its more work than electronics stuff.
    am hoping to find a compound chemist soon to trial a few things for a powder printer

5. Ian

Ian Administrator

Aug 23, 2006
    Nice one - do post up some pics once you've got it up and running :D.

6. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    My experience is, DOING it gets you a lot more useful information than just talking
    about it. A lot of us have opinions about what to do, but not many of us can argue
    with hands-on success.
    Good luck. I've been reading a lot of articles about these printers.
    Yeah. Doing it, is going to get you a lot farther on this than just listening to people
    talking about it.

7. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    ok so plan for today is get printer going...... well its going just not the right way.... so will calibrate and manipulate then post pics....... will need energy first.... so red bull then calibrate and manipulate code then post pics...... need to just do it.......
    this post took too long will need more red bull then onto printer...... ohh watch doctor who then.....
    can anyone tell me why 3d printers take so long to build? lmao

8. Mongrel Shark

Mongrel Shark

Jun 6, 2012
    LOL, should I change my profile to "certain unnamed person"?

I have a video of our i3 Prusa constructed a few weeks back..
    At the time the video was made we had just finished construction, and mechanical squaring up. All the diagonal measurements are within .5mm tolerance. Pretty much everything is parallel etc. Wires have been extended (a little excessively) Most of is slides and rolls freely where it should with little or no play where play is undesirable. The bed seems to be binding a little, Although we did use really rusty lineal bearings there, to see how long they would last... Not sure if its the bearings or if I mounted a bearing half a mm out of square. Possibly a bit of both..

Since then we have tested 2x ramps boards. One I made, mostly using bought parts that didn't fit well, and one pre fab one. Both work as they should. Buying them on ebay ready made is the cheaper option, Be sure to get one with 35v SMD capacitors. Some only come with 16v cap,s which would be bad if you ever wanted to improve efeciency or driver heat problems by running the steppers of the 30v they are made to run at, as opposed to the 12v most repraps run... I have salvaged almost everything but the resistors for a 3rd one that I will do with all SMD parts of the right size... Just cant seem to get the right sizes through Jaycar, they dont even stock SMD resistors :| Need to find my good magnifying glass to go over scrap SMD boards and pick of the resistors I need... Not really looking forward to that... Being a disabled pensioner, I oftern have more time than cash, so salvaging is the best option for me...

Last week we (Donkey, I'm useless with code) got a Raspberry pi running ponterface and got all the hot bits to get hot, and the moving bits to move, powered from an ATX I modded. Everything did mostly what it should, although a few axisis where inverted so some stuff went backwards. I fixed 2 axis by inverting the stepper connections. Donkey has since learned how to do it in the code too. So now its just down to calibrating steps per defined distance and getting the thermistors calibrated a bit better, and actually having hot bits PWM at the right temps....

I have a few other videos of the mostly metal rep-strap we are doing from mostly recycled parts, and a few videos on testing the various electronic components. All of which can be found in the 3d printer playlist on my channel. Along with how I made my own set square and cordless hand lathe from scrap to save on cost... http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhJ5fhDqOBDs_d8bw5_UeaVZ9nbz51jXU&feature=edit_ok
    I'm planning to add some videos on salvaging parts from old printers etc as well as keeping the playlist up dated with any progress in this project. As donkey mentioned I am doing most of the construction and soldering etc, while Donkey does all the advanced code/computer stuff.

Ian if you have the skills to build one, you'd be nuts to pay the price they are charging for the commercial ones. My salvaged parts rep strap is going to come in around the $200 mark. Most of that on steppers I could probably substitute (eying off some dc brushed motors with encoders). It is a big project though, normally I'd recommend three people do it. Coder, Programmer, and Mechanic. I'm a bit lucky in that I have both electronic skills and mechanical/structural skills, and am not to shabby with computers. Although If I had to build it and code it I'd be stuffed, good thing Donkey is handing most of the coding... Pre fab stuff like the RAMPS boards can help a lot. I'm not rapt with the electronic design (like how you cant get the heat-sinks on the correct side of the stepper driver boards, because someone failed to RTFM), but it saves a ton of work in making a custom arduino shield. Then once it works we have to learn how to use CAD programs, which is a whole other ball game again... The commercial printers do offer a wide range of materials you can print with. Although the reprap community is catching up. if a little slowly. Need more chemists involved... I dont think any of the commercial ones will be as good as a second or third model from a skilled tinkerer... If you go with a commercial model, you seem to get stuck buying filament etc from that company. Which is a deal breaker for me. Building from scratch is a huge undertaking though. If I had of known how many hours I would be spending looking for information scattered will nilly all over the internet, I'm not sure I would have started... Something we both hope to improve on through this project. By providing guides that are actually honest and useful.. A lot of the guides just say but these exact parts and your fine.. But we cant get those parts in Australia... Also I think it would be good for someone to show various options in solving some of the more common issues...

There are a few home made filament extruders out there too. I'm really hoping to be able to collect rubbish, and recycle the plastic for printing, or at least be able to recycle bad prints. Looking like there will be issues with plasticizers cooking off. So plasticizer will need to be added, which is rather toxic, and adds extra complexity...

There will also be a powder base with inkjet applied binder/solvent printer soon. I am also looking into making co2 laser or modding laser diode's to make a laser sintering printer. As I really want to print metal.... Co2 laser is looking like the best option, although I still have a lot of reading to do on wavelengths vs material etc... infra red does seem to be capable of melting most stuff though, if the intensity is available.

If I was starting this whole project over, I'd be skipping the filament printers altogether, and going straight to powder types. Much more versatile. Also a lot less common, so more work to be had if you had one and wanted it to make an earn.

If anyone has any ideas how I can make a nozzle with a less than 100 micron hole in it I'm all ears too. One of my long term goals with this is printing graphene batterys etc :) Need sub 1 micron to make it worthwhile. Although sub 100 micron is a good start and would be useful with fine filament work.

9. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011

just a quick video I uploaded. still a few issues to resolve then its easy as taking a poo... even babies can do that that's how easy this is

10. Ian

Ian Administrator

Aug 23, 2006
    Looking good so far guys (and thanks for posting the videos!). I've build a basic CNC for routing many years ago, so I think I may follow your advice and give a homebrew 3d printer machine a go next year - as it would be a fun project. Open source projects seem to be developing pretty quick, so I may jump in once it becomes a little easier!

Your project sounds like it's going to be pretty complex and exciting, I wish you luck! :)

11. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    I hate advertising other sites but check out reprap. cnc millers and 3d printer designs galore. if you EVER improve on them then PLEASE send me the design

12. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    just a quick update shark is over and our z axis keeps blowing the driver boards........ not happy

13. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    What are you using for motor/driver?

Also what type of drive are you using for the Z? (by which I mean belts/worm gear etc)

14. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    we got it working. they are nema 17stepper motors. and driven by polulu boards. there is an issue when we try full and half steps but 1/4 steps seem to work

15. Mongrel Shark

Mongrel Shark

Jun 6, 2012
    Here is a video of the printer doing stuff.

Its still got a few code bugs, but I think we know how to fix most of it.

16. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    I think it was the gcode slice.... stupid machine. got to calibrate temp and movement now

17. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    so its working finally, heat is still in need of calibration but otherwise its going fine. trying to find answers for certain issues is still an issue

Ask a Question