Maker Pro
Maker Pro

3D Printer Platform Heater

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
Greetings,

The platform heater for my UP broke, turns out the heater is fine but the connecting wire was so thin that it melted from the current. I've been pretty dam unimpressed with the design since I got the thing (I personally think they are a bunch of amateurs who somehow managed to put together something that works well enough to sell) How the **** can they get away with stuff like this though??

This is the wire that was used. I dont know the gauge so I've pictured it along side some ribbon cable and a 9V battery connector for comparison:

heat2.jpg

This is the heater itself. The writing on the side reads 24V 80W, so that tiny wire must have been carrying over 3A! (the large power supply is indeed 24V (yes there is a separate mains adapter - 3 in total - for each part of the thing its so badly designed))

heat1.jpg

If you look at the connector that goes to the board, its a standard ribbon and theyve just used 2 wires for each of the heater connections. Seriously - there must be some regulation being broken here.

heat3.jpg

I replaced the wire with some thicker stuff I had, but it wont go back in without obstructing the rail.
heat4.jpg

QUESTION: I have some stepper motors lying around. The wires are long and OH SO SOFT and have alot of copper. Would those be suitable for this ?