Connect with us

36 pin Centronics Connectors

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by [email protected], Jun 25, 2007.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Guest

    Where can I buy these ?!

    I've searched high and low at electronics stores all around town and I
    cannot find any bare 36 pin centronics connectors. I did find some
    female connectors and I bought them, but I'm having trouble finding
    male connectors. Most places don't stock these connectors anymore, but
    I see printer cables and 36 pin to USB adapters being made still today
    so I KNOW that these connectors are still being made.

    Anyone got any good leads to where I can get some of these connectors
    online ?

  2. Tam/WB2TT

    Tam/WB2TT Guest

    I bought some of each kind from Digikey about 5 years ago. First, unless
    somebody does it for you, you need to go to a connector manufacturer's web
    site an come up with a part number. I would try Amphenol first. Centronics
    was the user, not the manufacturer.

  3. Go to Digikey and search [connector] then select the
    [Parallel Interface / Centronics] choice.
    All on this page:
  4. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I believe that AMP's name for these is "Champ". The 50 pin version is common
    in telephone equipment and the 36 pin was used for some printers (like
    Centronics). IIRC, a smaller one is used for test equipment that are
    equipped with the GPIB bus.

  5. Rich Grise

    Rich Grise Guest

    Maybe you should learn to use the other side of google to save yourself
    a trip "high and low at electronics stores all around town":

    Good Luck!
  6. Mark Zenier

    Mark Zenier Guest

    Centronics is just a long gone printer manufacturer. The connector
    originally was an Amphenol 57 Series Micro-Ribbon connector. (I dug
    out an old Anadex printer manual and they called out a 57-30360 plug).
    Those were/are solder-cup (you really don't want to go there) or PCB
    tail style connectors. Other compatible Amphenol parts were the 157
    Micro-pierce (IDC wire) and 850-57 (IDC flat cable) series. Or a
    zillion other manufacturers. I usually hacked around with T&B Ansley
    flat cable connectors, because one squish of the cable beats the heck
    out of soldering 36 wires into the back of the connector.

    Mark Zenier
    Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)
  7. Rich Grise

    Rich Grise Guest


    Didn't the HP-IP also use these or similar (maybe 50-pin vs 36?)

  8. Rich Grise

    Rich Grise Guest


    HP-IB. duh.
  9. Mark Zenier

    Mark Zenier Guest

    Yes, 24 pin. (I actually paid a lot of money for a copy of IEEE-488
    that I never used, until now). It names Micro-Ribbon from Amphenol
    or Cinch, or Champ from AMP.

    Mark Zenier
    Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day