Connect with us

32 khz clock signal

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by parkie, Apr 23, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. parkie

parkie

Apr 23, 2010
    Hello, i am wanting to know how to clock down a 32 khz clock to 16khz?

I am not sure if there is a quick and simple way to do this

reason is i have an amega328 running arudiuno and i am taking it off the prototyping board and putting it into a final product, but i only have a 32 khz or 8 khz clock here with me

So is there a way to clock down the 32 or clock up the 8?
    or does it matter if i run the amega328 at a faster clock?

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    If the amega328 (and the software on it) can handle the higher clock rate, then there is no problem.

Dividing the clock by 2 is the easiest and can be done with a single flip flop.

Check out this and this.

There are simple devices that consist of a single D type flipflop that you could use in a minimum of board space. A NC7SZ74K8X is one option (I suggest this only because I have some of them) -- there are many other options.

edit: OK, 32kHz, not 32MHz. It would be no problem for the amega328, the issue would be if the software was designed specifically for the slower clock speed.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  3. vk5ajl

vk5ajl

Feb 1, 2010
    As mentioned above, a D flipflop makes it easy to divide by 2. One commonly available chip is a half of a 74hc74. Connect the inverting output (Q bar), to the D input, the clock to 32kHz or whatever then take the output from either the Q or Q bar output. Perfect divide by 2 and by two again with the other half of the chip if you want.

Ask a Question