Connect with us

3 wire fan

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by trulytest, Sep 27, 2012.

1. trulytest

trulytest

Sep 5, 2012
    Hi, I have a 3 wire fan (red, black and white). When I connect it to the 12 Volts and 60mA (without 3rd yellow wire) it is spinning, but not as fast as normal 2 wire fan. I tried to make 5V from 12V using 100 Ohm resistor (hope I calculated it right) and connect it to the yellow one, but it didn't work at all. Anyone know how to control it?

Attached Files:

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Have you considered it's not designed to spin as fast aka it's a different RPM fan?

I doubt it... A better choice would have been a voltage divider... BUT, THIS THIS ISN'T RELEVANT HERE AS THAT ISN'T WHAT YOU DO!

The 'yellow' wire on these fans is an OUTPUT aka a tachometer, not an input!

The proper way is to use PWM on the red and black wires and monitor the fans speed via the yellow tachometer wire...

Short of that you simply hook up the black and red wire to the proper voltage and sufficient current power supply...

3. trulytest

trulytest

Sep 5, 2012
    Uhh, I didn't know the yellow one is actually used as a tachometer, srry :D But thanks for information.

Solved

Ask a Question