Maker Pro
Maker Pro

3. way Light help

robertbiferi

Jan 16, 2011
I understand how a Light with 2. switchs works.

The first switch get power from say the Breaker or some sorce and then goes to the second switch then the second switch goes to the Light.

And I know how they are wired togather with the Red Travler wire.

But there is one other way 2. switchs can be wired to a Light.
The power comes through the Light and goes to the switchs.

But this kind of way of doing it I don't understand.
So witch is the way they all use it?

TBennettcc

Dec 4, 2010
The link donkey posted reads:

Or power can enter at the fixture and then two switches can be arranged in parallel from the light.

Which means you have the hot come into the light fixture, the neutral leaves the light fixture and splits into two paths, one to each switch. Then, each switch either connects the neutral or interrupts it. If both switches are interrupting the neutral path, the light will be off. If either switch is on, there will be a path from the hot, through the light, and completed through the switch to neutral, completing the circuit. When the circuit is completed, the light turns on.

If you don't know the difference between series and parallel, you can Google for more information. These two images illustrate the difference:

original-98850-2.jpg

original-98850-4.jpg

robertbiferi

Jan 16, 2011
thanks but

Yes you are right I do understand how the switchs when the power goes to the first switch and then goes to the second switch and then the Light.

But I can't find a Diagram to the other way?
When power goes to the Light first then the switchs.

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
One way to solve these problems is to sit down with a piece of paper and figure out the schematic yourself. It's not too hard. You can also look for help here, which is a pretty good site for folks dealing with home electrical problems.

robertbiferi

Jan 16, 2011
thanks but

OK I get 2. things.

A Lite with two 3. way switchs is a Series Circuit.

And a Lite with two 4. way switchs is a Parallel Circuit.

But when I look up 4. way Lite Circuits I get a Lite with one 4. way switch and two 3. way switchs.

I am looking for a Circuit with One Lite and just Two 4. way switchs.
And the power is coming through the Lite.

But I can't find it??

Puno

Feb 25, 2011
ok for a 2 way switches and 1 light.

need 2 SPDT toggle sw or whatever
1 light

ok now how to wire it up.

one common of first sw goes to hot side of power, the NC (normally closed) terminal goes to the NO (normally open) of the second sw and likewise NO of first sw goes to NC of second sw.

now the common of the second sw, you wire this to light.

the cold/gnd of pwr supply goes directly to the other side of the light.

For 3way sw you would need a sw called intermediate sw. (google intermediate sw and all info should be there) hope this helps. this sw is installed between the first 2 sw if you want 4way sw bung in another intermediate sw in between and so on whatever you want how many ways you wanna ttrun that light. And add more light if you want in parallel with first light.

it will get to a point where you starting to consider the power consumed by all lights then also determines what rating of switches you gonna need.

Last edited:

robertbiferi

Jan 16, 2011
thanks but

OK it helped a little.

But just some things I need to know?

When a Lite has two switchs and the power is coming through the Lite to the switchs is this type of wireing used if you want to ad more switchs to that Lite latter??

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Wiring a lamp / switch

what i can make out of what your doing is a ring or radial circuit, mains potential or not ? why would you want to add another switch, unless its for some extended control, some circuits, mainly power sockets take a spur from one socket to the other application taking that circuits total power into consideration , light can be wired in a similar way, you must comply with your country's wiring regulations, if your not getting the idea from the above posts it might be better to get some extra help in. Dave. :)

robertbiferi

Jan 16, 2011
thanks but

OK I am sorry I am not asking this in the right way?

I looked up how One Lite with Two switchs work.

And they use Two 3. way switchs and these are the kind were there is Two wires on One side of the switch and One wire on the other side.

And the powere comes into just One switch and then goes to the other switch then the Lite.

And I know how this setup works.

Then I came across another setup for One Lite with Two switchs but it was all wired diferantly.

The power came from the Lite and whent to the switchs and the switchs are Two 4. way switchs.

Because there is Two wires on one side off the switch and Two wires on the other side.
So I whent to google to see how this type of wireing works.

But whenever I look this type of wireing up it shows One Lite and the power is coming throught it. But it shows me three 4. way switchs connected to the Lite?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I found a website tht has a photo of what I don't understand.

The power comes through the Lite first.
Then there is a 3. way switch then a 4. way switch then a 3. way switch.

Can't you have just 2. 4. way switchs to that Like why do they have 2. 3. way switchs?

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=4.+w...0&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&biw=1280&bih=657
I showed you how to do it with 2 4-way switches. You could also do it with 2 3-way switches. I don't understand what you are not getting.

Bob

robertbiferi

Jan 16, 2011
thanks but

Well this is what I ment?

If power is not coming from the Lite I know how to wire two 3. way switchs to it and I know how they work.

But if power is coming from the Lite first they all say use 4. way switchs why?

This is what I don't get

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
You seem to know how two way switches work. There is a loop going from the line to neutral with the switches and lamp in that loop. The lamp can come first or the switches, if the switch is off, anywhere in that loop, the light will not work.
However, you should think about safety. The switches should always be in the live lead so that when turned off the system is dead. It is not good to change a bulb with a live socket. Various layouts are used to minimise the amount of cable, not always wisely.
The two way switches select one of two wires to turn the light on. The switches have to be connected to the same wire for the light to work. An intermediate switch can swop the wires over to switch the light. Any number of intermediate switches can be used.

Puno

Feb 25, 2011
I visited the site you mentioned and it is exactly what I mentioned earlier. The switches mentioned there 3way and 4way switches, that is another terminology to a single pole double throw, and the intermediate sw which is the 4 way, to my understanding the way they labelled the switches are misleading and confusing. The power does not go first to the light then the switches it is the neutral/cold side is, the active/hot side is going throught the switches then to the light.

If still not clear get it on paper study it and redraw it in another way that you see it like the previous posts have said if still not clear time to get back to basics of switches and types.

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I would be surprised if anyone who is familiar with electronics called any of those switches other than 2-way switches.

Click, on, click off -- only 2 positions (or ways) that the switch can be in. Compare that to a rotary switch that can be in any of (say) ten positions -- that's a 10 way switch.

You're looking at switches that are either single or double throw and single or double pole.

Perhaps electricians call them something different? Is there an electrician who can comment?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Like I said, they're all 2 way switches. I believe what they call "three way" are SPDT, and the ones called "four way" are a particularly wired DPDT switch.

If the switches are as I believe them to be, then this wiring diagram looks fine.

However, on a more practical level, you need to determine which connector on each switch is which. And for that I can't help you.