Connect with us

3 Way cross overs.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by mrmodify, Apr 23, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. mrmodify

mrmodify

Feb 13, 2010
    Good Day All,
    I am fixing to install a pair of 8" 8 ohm woofer, a 2" x 3" piezo tweeter and using my existing 8 ohm 5 1/4" coaxial speaker as a midrange.
    I am looking at installing a prebuilt 3 way crossover network made by Audiopipe M/N CRX 303.
    They are rated at 12 dB per octave slope (4 ohm) I am going to be using all 8 ohm drivers except for the piezo's.
    Can this crossover be used in my application?

2. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    it can be used yes, well I should say it should work, there should be no reason that it will hurt anything as long we the wattages are within range, but you will not be running the mids and lows at full power since the system is designed for 4Ω not 8Ω.

3. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    Just try it. From what I remember of stuff I read about 50 years ago.the crossover should be designed for the drivers used since they are not simple resistive loads. Phase difference and driver location should be considered.
    Two speakers in parallel will be nominally 4 ohm.

4. mrmodify

mrmodify

Feb 13, 2010
    Thank men! Duke37 cool tractor can you give me some info on it?

5. solo2racr

solo2racr

Aug 21, 2013
    I wouldn't use it. The crossover points will change and the slopes will be very funky. If you're just looking for a simple pre-made XO, then take a look at some of the ones from Parts Express intended for 8ohm nominal speakers. If you really want to get serious about it, a calibrated mic and some free software will generate FRD and ZMA files that can be used in XO sim software. Take a look at Holm Impulse (for FRD files), ARTA (for ZMA files) and PSD-lite (for XO simulation).

6. mrmodify

mrmodify

Feb 13, 2010
    Thanks Ssolo2racr, I have been looking at the lower cost XO's at Parts Express and EBAY. The lower cost XO's @ Parts Express didn't have real good feed back. But it is a old van and I am not looking for something very expensive that was why I chose not to build my own but I will check out your suggestions.

7. solo2racr

solo2racr

Aug 21, 2013
    A pre-made XO is never going to get rave reviews. Crossovers really need to be designed for a particular speaker and system to be right. A speaker impedance, though nominally 8ohms, may be anywhere from 6 to 16 or greater at the crossover point.

Ask a Question