Connect with us

3 pole wireless switch

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by aaron1987, Jul 29, 2014.

1. aaron1987

aaron1987

Jul 29, 2014
    hello everyone,

my name is aaron and i'm new. im looking to build a 3 way pole switch or something of that nature to connect one thermocouple to 3 others and switch between them with a remote if that is possible. it would have to run off of a 12v volt batter pack and also be waterproof. also it would have to have very high frequency for max wall penetration and be able to work from up to 500 feet in the air, also it would have to double wall insulated from any disturbance since it will be used in a power plant. now with all of that being said does anyone know of such a device or know how to build a prototype or know where i can get the pieces to build my own prototype. any help would be awesome.

Thanks,

Aaron

2. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    I'm thinking you're going to have to explain this a little better. You know what you need, but it's unclear to the readers here.
    You want to be able to switch readings between 4 thermocouples, each I assume at a different height on a stack.
    What's the high-frequency for? A transmitter to send the thermocouple signal to a receiver? Is 'wall penetration' to mean the transmitter to receiver through building walls, or are you talking about signal penetration through the stack?
    (As in: your thermocouples are reading inside the stack, and you want to receive the signals from the thermocouple transmitters outside the stack, and through the building walls of some receiving station?)
    I could go on and on with my questions. Try to explain what you're working with, on what, and what exactly you need to do.

KrisBlueNZ and (*steve*) like this.
  3. ramussons

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
    The OP wants a Remote Controlled 3 Way switch.
    The Switch runs on a 12 Volt battery and is used in the Open - needs to be weather proof.
    The Control is should have a range of 500 feet and works in a Power Plant.
    He errors in thinking that Higher Frequency has a better penetration of Walls.

That's my understanding of the OP's needs.

Ramesh

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009

which didn't tell us any more than what the OP did
    He needs to be a lot more specific in his requirements

Dave

5. aaron1987

aaron1987

Jul 29, 2014
    we have lines that run all the way of the side of stacks and for some tests we need 7 thermocouples but we currently only have 5 so what i was wanting is something that i could plug into number 5 and then plug into 5,6,7 and switch between them whenever i need to. i was under the impression that the higher the frequency the more penetration you have. the reason i need wall penetration is because i will be sitting in a trailer underneath the stack and sometimes the line will be on the other side of the stack and the stack is made of reinforced concret

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  6. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    aaron1987, we're getting closer to understanding what you need, but I'm (at least), not there yet.
    So, you've got 'lines' that run all the way up the stacks. Are these thermocouple wire 'lines', or lines to thermocouple transmitters (that operate on the frequency of concern to you)?
    Maybe the 'penetration' you're asking about, is actually 'strength of the signal' you're trying to read from your thermocouple transmitter?
    What I understand so far, is you have a system of some unexplained type, that reads 5 thermocouples up a stack.
    You want to change the 5th thermocouple reading system, to be a selectable switch that will read the 5th thermocouple, but can also be used to read an additional two other thermocouples.
    This seems like a simple thing to do. However, we need to know the system that is presently in-use for the existing 5 thermocouples. (So we can figure-out suggestions to make the 5th LOCATION thermocouple, a selectable type).
    Can you tell us if the switch you want for that 5th thermocouple location, will be switching thermocouple wire inputs, or what specific radio frequency transmitter (or hell, I don't know, what industry-standard 4-20ma instrument signal),
    you're going to be switching?
    The point of my questions, are to help determine the type of switch you need. It sounds like the existing system for that 5th thermocouple location will report to the control room. We just need to know the type of signal you'll
    be switching.

7. aaron1987

aaron1987

Jul 29, 2014
    the lines run all the way up the side of the stack and then to a console and that is where i get the readouts for the thermocouples. there isnt any wireless signal. the thermocouples are type k and in the lines there is thermocouple wire running all the way so all i would need to do is be able to switch between them with a remote.

8. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    I know I must be dense because I still don't know for certain what you're dealing with.
    If you've got thermocouple wire running up the stack for locations # 6 & 7 (from your read-out console), I'd just check with one of the following manufacturers for a switch box at your console.
    Cole-Parmer, Omega, or Phoenix Contact. They all make Type-K Thermocouple switch boxes and panels.
    If what you're looking for is a switch (between thermocouple locations 5, 6 & 7); that you want physically located AT the thermocouple wells way up the stack, I'd call Omega and talk to one of their customer service techs to explain
    exactly what you want. That would be a special purpose application that they would be more familiar with than I am.
    I've worked factory smoke stack temperature, opacity meters for smoke an dust reading, and thermocouple reads for kilns in mining applications. We always just ran the thermocouple wire to a digital readout display.
    I think you're saying you don't want to run the wire all the way from locations 6 & 7, back down to the display console (which is where the switchbox would be located), I'm thinking you're saying you want to switch the location 6 & 7 thermocouples onto the location #5 thermocouple wire,(physically up on the stack), and use that #5 wire to switch between locations 6 & 7 (?). A special application.
    I've always had good advice help from the Omega Engineers. They've got a lot of experience supplying temperature reading gear for a wide variety of applications.
    If this was me, I'd tell the boss to run the two extra wires to locations 6 & 7, and add two more digitial displays to your console ( or use one of the switchboxes supplied by the manufacturers I listed above to switch all seven of
    the thermocouple displays to a single console read-out display). This should not be a very expensive thing to do.
    Good luck.

Ask a Question