Maker Pro
Maker Pro

3-phase 380V inverter with EGS031 and EGP3000W boards

robmar

Dec 8, 2015
Hi all,
being in need of an inverter capable to generate a pure-sine 3-phase 380V 50Hz voltage (with a max. power of, say, 500W) from an AC single-phase or DC source, I've browsed around but after a thorough search I've found nothing suitable on the market (too expensive high-power UPS, or too distorted-wave cheap VFD)

Then my attention was drawn by a cheap pure-sine 3-phase inverter kit, sold around in Chinese marketplaces, made by two boards: the driver board EGS031, already assembled and featuring an EG8030 controller, and the power board EGP3000W, sold as a naked PCB instead.

The documentation I've found is very scarce and mostly in Chinese language, but with the help of an online translation service I've managed to get a clearer picture of what to expect from this project, gathered all the relevant schematics and found it suitable for my needs. So I've decided to take the risk, ordered the kit, started sourcing the components and had the 3-phase transformer custom built to my specs, hoping to find more clues along the way.

Now the strange thing is that, although the two boards seem to be widespread and, judging from the seller's statistics, many kits have been sold, nonetheless there's no sign around of anyone having actually built the kit and shared his experience.

If you try searching for "EGP3000W" you will find just lots of sellers of the board (and its matching EGS031 driver) but all the advertisements replicate the identical pictures of the very same assembled and powered kit, as if it were the one and only ever built...:(

Thus, the purpose of this post is to make "ripples in a pond" to find out if there's anybody who approached / built this inverter, or else is also interested in building it and willing to share our findings, ideas and doubts,
I'm trying also to grant more visibility to this project, given that there are no other forums around discussing it.

Greetings from Italy!
Roberto

Last edited:

mori

Jan 11, 2018
Hello Roberto,
I am interested in this circuit. Did you manage to prototype one? if yes what is your comment on the performance?
any advise before I get started on that?
Thanks,
Mori,

robmar

Dec 8, 2015
Hello Mori,
And yes, I did. Actually two of them, one for me and another for a friend.
From the experience made, there are some things worth pointing out, that I'll be glad to share with you and anyone else interested in this project.
The first part of my observations follows, unfortunately in my corner of the world it is getting late, but I'll come back on this subject asap.
For now I can say that the inverter's overall performance is good, obviously it depends from which is your particular application and the power you expect to draw from it.
In my case I needed to supply some 3-phase 380V electronic equipments so my primary requisite was the cleanness of the sine wave rather than the overall power, and I can confirm that the output is a clean and pure sine wave. I used a 500VA power transformer so this is my power limit, but I think that with proper cooling and heat sinking the circuit can deliver up to ten times as much.
As a first strong advice: you will find that, amongst the scarce documentation available, sometimes the employed MOSFETs are referred to as IRF840, and sometimes as 75NF75. Well,do not EVER consider the IRF840 and go straight for the 75NF75. For the same price they have an incredibly lower Rds(on) that dramatically improves the output voltage stability under load. (discovered that at my expenses...)
Also, you will find that the EG1181 SMD chip required in the 15V supply section of the EGP3000W board is almost impossible to find, but can be replaced by the equivalent EG1182 without problems.

Back soon with more info, cheers
Roberto

Attachments

• inv1.jpg
    inv1.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 476
  • inv2.jpg
    inv2.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 389

mori

Jan 11, 2018
Hi and thanks for your response.
Do you happen to have the firmware? is frequency also adjustable?
Thanks,
Mori

robmar

Dec 8, 2015
No need for firmware...:)
The controller chip on the EGS031 board (that comes already assembled, and therefore you'll need to acquire) does all the work.
It features some solder jumpers for configuration and, if my memory serves me well, one of them is for the 50/60 Hz output frequency selection.
The only inherent datasheet I could find is in Chinese, I managed to get a translation with the help of Google translator and I'll post it here soon.

I forgot to mention that, if you're planning to build the inverter, you'll have to deal with SMD 0805 size components soldering so a basic SMD tooling and soldering skills are required

Last edited:

matthew downey

Apr 5, 2018
Robmar,

I found this kit while searching for a three-phase inverter solution and was hopeful it would meet my specs. However, I ran into the same problems as you in trying to find technical info on the device itself or how to implement it. Could you share what information you found and used to complete the build?

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014

Attachments

• eg8010_datasheet_en.pdf
    835.3 KB · Views: 330
  • power-inverter-3kw-schematics.pdf
    135.1 KB · Views: 577
Last edited:

matthew downey

Apr 5, 2018
Thanks Ramussons, but those devices are for generating single phase only, while the EGS 3000W and accompanying EGS031 generate three phase, which is required for my application.

NOSAj

Jan 30, 2019
any more info avalible? Why are there only naked pcb EGP3000W avaliable?
can't I run the EGS031 without the EGP3000W? Any more info would be appreciated. Thanks

Gggreg

May 9, 2019
No need for firmware...:)
The controller chip on the EGS031 board (that comes already assembled, and therefore you'll need to acquire) does all the work.
It features some solder jumpers for configuration and, if my memory serves me well, one of them is for the 50/60 Hz output frequency selection.
The only inherent datasheet I could find is in Chinese, I managed to get a translation with the help of Google translator and I'll post it here soon.

I forgot to mention that, if you're planning to build the inverter, you'll have to deal with SMD 0805 size components soldering so a basic SMD tooling and soldering skills are required
Inju ok

Gggreg

May 9, 2019
I just received the eg micro 3 phase boards today. Thank you for your advice Robmar. I have not been able to translate the Chinese with Google Translator yet but you succeeded ?

robmar

Dec 8, 2015
I just received the eg micro 3 phase boards today. Thank you for your advice Robmar. I have not been able to translate the Chinese with Google Translator yet but you succeeded ?

Hi Greg,
and yes, I managed to get a translation (well, sort of...) I have just to put it in an orderly and readable form, but I'm very busy at the moment and I can't do it until next week...
Stay tuned!
Regards,
Roberto

rogerbsp

Jun 5, 2019

Hello everyone, You could translate sheet EG8030 using google translate, but you need to copy and paste each paragraph individually. Attached here is part of a translation I made for Portuguese (Brazil).

Attachments

• EG8030_DATA_SHEET_portuguese.pdf
    268.3 KB · Views: 164

AljazG

Jun 30, 2019
I bought the motherboard and drivers board and they send me no documentation even chinese. Can anyone send me scanned documentation?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
@AljazG .
First thing is hello.
Do you know how to introduce yourself?.

Secondly, ASK for documentation.
Not from here but where you bought it.

AljazG

Jun 30, 2019
Sorry, hello everyone :)
I need simple 3-phase source for servicing equipment because my house have only 1-phase mains. So I found this pcbs on aliexpress and after some digging this forum. Normally I first wrote to the seller but I dont have many hope he will give me the documentation.

sosisoft

Mar 13, 2020
Hello Mori,
And yes, I did. Actually two of them, one for me and another for a friend.
From the experience made, there are some things worth pointing out, that I'll be glad to share with you and anyone else interested in this project.
The first part of my observations follows, unfortunately in my corner of the world it is getting late, but I'll come back on this subject asap.
For now I can say that the inverter's overall performance is good, obviously it depends from which is your particular application and the power you expect to draw from it.
In my case I needed to supply some 3-phase 380V electronic equipments so my primary requisite was the cleanness of the sine wave rather than the overall power, and I can confirm that the output is a clean and pure sine wave. I used a 500VA power transformer so this is my power limit, but I think that with proper cooling and heat sinking the circuit can deliver up to ten times as much.
As a first strong advice: you will find that, amongst the scarce documentation available, sometimes the employed MOSFETs are referred to as IRF840, and sometimes as 75NF75. Well,do not EVER consider the IRF840 and go straight for the 75NF75. For the same price they have an incredibly lower Rds(on) that dramatically improves the output voltage stability under load. (discovered that at my expenses...)
Also, you will find that the EG1181 SMD chip required in the 15V supply section of the EGP3000W board is almost impossible to find, but can be replaced by the equivalent EG1182 without problems.

Back soon with more info, cheers
Roberto
Hi,
on your table(picture inv1.jpg) I see small three transformers. Please can you provide the values 240/? V ?
Thank you

robmar

Dec 8, 2015
Hi,
on your table(picture inv1.jpg) I see small three transformers. Please can you provide the values 240/? V ?
Thank you

Hi,
The transformers are 230-240V to 12V.
They don't have to be much powerful, the smallest VA you can find is ok, since they are used just to have a feedback of the output voltage for control purposes.
Let me know should you need further infos.
Roberto

Latest addition: forgot to specify that the three transformers must be connected so that their phase is the same (referencing the dot on schematic)

Last edited:

sosisoft

Mar 13, 2020
Hi,
The transformers are 230-240V to 12V.
They don't have to be much powerful, the smallest VA you can find is ok, since they are used just to have a feedback of the output voltage for control purposes.
Let me know should you need further infos.
Roberto

Latest addition: forgot to specify that the three transformers must be connected so that their phase is the same (referencing the dot on schematic)
many thanks for the information

AljazG

Jun 30, 2019
Hello,

I have a problem with this device, I'm getting 4 flashes/beeps. As I translated it means undervoltage. I'm feeding inverter with 48V DC I also tried to raise rails to 60V with no difference. Feedback transformes are 220V/6V. Any idea where is the problem?

Best regards
Aljazagg.jpg