Connect with us

3 axis button

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by pawel.panasewicz, Sep 12, 2012.

1. pawel.panasewicz

pawel.panasewicz

Sep 12, 2012
    Hi,

Problem overview:

I want to create keyboard with custom keypads. Switches should be pressure and angel sensitive - they should be sensitive in 3 axes. Switch should provide information about level of incllination. If I push the button for half distance the electronics should notice that. If I release button in some distance electronics should notice that as well. The same should apply to angels inclination.
    Attachment below explains how it should work:
    joy.PNG

I've spent few days looking those parts but no I've not found any interesting results. The best candidate I've found has very short vertical travel of shaft (about 0.1 mm) and is quite expensive. Here is the llink of this part: http://www.alps.com/WebObjects/catalog.woa/E/HTML/MultiControl/Switch/SKRH/SKRH_list.html

Something like mechanical computer keyboard switch but pressure sensitive will be more suitable for my DIY project.

Please find diagram of mechanical cherry keypad:
    CherryMXRed.jpg
    [​IMG]

Question:
    What I am asking for is information if such 3 axis swiches exists and where I can find them? On the other hand, if they not exist, who can design and manufacture them?

I appreciate you any help.

Paweł

2. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    Im not sure where to find the part themselves but look at PS3 or Xbox controllers and look at the joysticks, they are 3 axis, left/right, forward/back and click

3. pawel.panasewicz

pawel.panasewicz

Sep 12, 2012
    Thanks for advice :)

I've thought about them, but:
    * such joysticks are very expensive
    * they are to big for my keyboard,
    * I thing they are to accurate.

I need something size like and quality like rubber dome but sensitive in 3 directions:

Rubber dome is that part:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
Ask a Question