Connect with us

3.6v i2C part in a 5V uP circuit

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by dxpwny, Jul 30, 2015.

1. dxpwny

dxpwny

Jul 9, 2011
    I wish to use a part the has a max vcc of 3.6 volt, and it's i2c bus in a simple 8051 (DS89C450) circuit. I don't know what the exact 3.6v part is yet - it just seems all the parts I've looked at for my application have a max vcc of 3.6v.

I haven't yet read anything in any datasheet that states that a 3.6v devices i2c bus should work directly with 5V logic. So, I'm wondering .... assuming it's not possible to just throw the parts together, is there a simple circuit I can use to glue to two parts together ?

2. pgib8

pgib8

Jul 26, 2015
    Well the nice thing about I2C is that all the outputs are open-drain / open-collector, meaning they will only ever pull the signal low or leave it floating, but never source anything into it. The lines are pulled high by pull-up resistors. So I'm thinking that you simply pull them high to 3.3V (or what have you) and it should be plenty high enough for your 5V device to recognize them as being high.

Ask a Question