Connect with us

250v 150mA Slow Blow fuse replacement

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by tk427, Apr 8, 2020.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. tk427


    Apr 8, 2020

    First time poster, so I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I have an CD changer that won't power on. When I opened it up, I found a fuse that was blown. The fuse is a slow blow 250V 150mA glass fuse with a resistor inside. The fuse is 5mm x 20mm. I have scoured the interwebs and I can't find the exact same fuse. My question is this. Can ANY 250v 150mA slow blow fuse be used in place of the original? Attached is the original.

    Attached Files:

  2. pharaon


    Oct 28, 2014
    the answer is yes
    but you need to find out what was the reason for the fuse to blow up, what cause the over load
    73's de Edd likes this.
  3. tk427


    Apr 8, 2020
    excellent! I just want to see if I can spend a couple bucks on a fuse to see if it will power on. If it does, I will finish the troubleshooting.
  4. Bluejets


    Oct 5, 2014
    More likely a fusible 18R metal film resistor.
    Mostly these are used as inrush current limiters in smps power supplies.

    It is sometimes (not always) an advantage to use a 150w floodlamp in series with the suspect power supply input for testing purposes.

    At turn on if the fault still exists, the lamp will shine brightly.
    If everything ok, light around half brilliance and then dim down to a dull glow.

    Saves the shock of the bang and can prevent any further damage.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Cirkit and 73's de Edd like this.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day