Connect with us

250v 150mA Slow Blow fuse replacement

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by tk427, Apr 8, 2020.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. tk427

tk427

Apr 8, 2020
    Hello,

First time poster, so I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I have an CD changer that won't power on. When I opened it up, I found a fuse that was blown. The fuse is a slow blow 250V 150mA glass fuse with a resistor inside. The fuse is 5mm x 20mm. I have scoured the interwebs and I can't find the exact same fuse. My question is this. Can ANY 250v 150mA slow blow fuse be used in place of the original? Attached is the original.

Attached Files:

2. pharaon

pharaon

Oct 28, 2014
    the answer is yes
    but you need to find out what was the reason for the fuse to blow up, what cause the over load

73's de Edd likes this.
  3. tk427

tk427

Apr 8, 2020
    excellent! I just want to see if I can spend a couple bucks on a fuse to see if it will power on. If it does, I will finish the troubleshooting.

4. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    More likely a fusible 18R metal film resistor.
    Mostly these are used as inrush current limiters in smps power supplies.

It is sometimes (not always) an advantage to use a 150w floodlamp in series with the suspect power supply input for testing purposes.

At turn on if the fault still exists, the lamp will shine brightly.
    If everything ok, light around half brilliance and then dim down to a dull glow.

Saves the shock of the bang and can prevent any further damage.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Cirkit and 73's de Edd like this.
Ask a Question