Connect with us

24vdc to 12vdc

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by Chris Serra, Aug 2, 2003.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Chris Serra

    Chris Serra Guest

    Hi all. I have a pretty simple question. I am looking at reducing 24vdc to
    12vdc. I am new to making circuits, but I fix video games for a living, so
    I know my way around most pcb's. I am not sure the best way to do it, using
    resistor, caps, or if a simple 7812 will do the trick. I am not looking for
    someone to make the circuit for me, but just nudge me in the right

    Thanks alot.

    Chris Serra
  2. tempus fugit

    tempus fugit Guest

  3. A couple of 5w 10 ohm resistors and a unijunction transistor would be more
    of a challenge with a 10 ohm pot off the collector of the unijunction
    transistor. (assuming the 24vdc potential has less than 503 ma of current
    and ignoring the 12v zener hanging off the emitter going to "ground" the
    negative pole) But then, I digress...

    24vdc to 12vdc
  4. Blake

    Blake Guest

    There are two options - a linear or a switcher. A linear (7812-type)
    solution will dissipate power equivalent to 12V (the amount dropped) times
    the current your load will draw. With a big heatsink, you can drop a lot
    of power. You will have to do the math to be sure that the 7812 will not
    get too hot.

    A switcher will dissipate a lot less heat, maybe 5-30% the heat of the
    linear. There are some small switchers that you can drop in that are easy
    to design because the datasheet spells out what to do. But a divide-by-two
    switcher can be as easy as a 50% duty-cycle switch followed by an LC

  5. Leigh W3NLB

    Leigh W3NLB Guest

    We need to know the current drain: minimum, average and maximum, if
    it varies. Can't design a regulator until we know that information.

    73 de Leigh W3NLB
  6. Brian Lund

    Brian Lund Guest

    Hi all. I have a pretty simple question. I am looking at reducing 24vdc
    It depends on how much current you need, the 7812 is often a good choice,
    but for circuits requiring a lot of current you need something else. You can
    get the as 7812 as a low power model, it is called 78L12 and can maximally
    deliver 100 mA.

    The regular (TO220) can deliver 1-1.5A depending on the manufacturer.

    And for high-power requirements there is a 3A model in a TO3 package.

    Always remember to use a heatsink for the later two models as they do get
    pretty hot when they have enough load.

    Brian Lund
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day