Maker Pro
Maker Pro

24VDC lighting systems?

eem2am

Aug 3, 2009
Hello,

I would like to investigate the different 24VDC LED lighting distribution systems that are currently available on the market as we have to plan a large office building lighting system.

I simply cannot find the offerings which i know must be out there in this field. I wish to compare prices

Do you know of any 24VDC lighting systems.

Eg, Mains to the building, then power converter, then 24VDC distribution wires to the separate lamps.

Clearly its more efficient to do PFC in a centralised unit placed eg in the basement of the building, and then distribute DC to lamps from this point. Theres also the advantage of easy interconnection with solar power.
Obviously one cannot use >24V as it creates too much contact sparking in connectors which wears them out unless they are very expensively made.

Y2KEDDIE

Sep 23, 2012
24VDC Led lighting

Interesting post; I haven't seen this used anywhere in my area. We've used Led lighting in Hazardous locations but it is 110VAC, and very expensive.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
For office lighting, cost is going to be the major concern.

All other things being equal, mains wiring will be cheap and easy (because everyone knows how to do it and it's very standard) Also low voltages mean higher currents and therefore more copper.

I would say we're still a bit off having "normal" lighting installed in offices built in a cost competitive environment.

People who build/sell/rent office space are rarely too concerned with long term costs.