Maker Pro
Maker Pro

24VDC circuit breaker recommendation

nscherneck

Sep 12, 2013
Hey y'all,

I'm building a test device for a fire suppression release circuit. Normally the 24vdc release circuit connects to a small explosive actuating device that facilitates the release of a suppressive gas for fire protection purpose. When we test these systems we remove the circuit from the actuator. I want to build a whip to connect to the circuit with a circuit breaker to verify actuation of the release circuit. The release circuit is rated at 24vdc, 0.75A. I'm looking for a breaker that will trip at a low current. Can anyone recommend one?

Thank you,
NS

Fish4Fun

So long, and Thanks for all the Fish!
Aug 27, 2013
Why not just use a 1 Amp fuse? If you need to test it a lot, how about an LED? Or a 24V relay that "latches". Most circuit breakers have a much higher current rating than 750mA and really aren't designed as "indicators".

Fish

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Another option is a hall effect current sensor. If this is placed in series with a resistance that simulates the resistance of the squib, you can then capture a graph of current vs time on a digital scope (there are other ways you could do this too).