Maker Pro
Maker Pro

24 Volt DC Transformer to AC mod ?

luchura

Oct 25, 2019
I was looking for a 24 Volt AC transformer 1 AMP, and by mistake I got the 24 Volt DC transformer 1 AMP. So here is my question.
I have opened the 24 Volt DC transformer 1 AMP, and there are components like diodes and capacitors to make it a DC transformer. Can I just remove the circuit ( diodes, capacitors ) and use it as a 24 Volt AC transformer ?. if Yes, will the 1 AMP be the same if I use as a AC transformer?.
Thank you,
-Luis

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Can I just remove the circuit ( diodes, capacitors ) and use it as a 24 Volt AC transformer ?. if Yes, will the 1 AMP be the same if I use as a AC transformer?.

hi there
welcome to EP :)

using your multimeter in ACV range and measure the AC voltage from the transformer secondary to the diode bridge
that will tell you what voltage the transformer is

Note that with no load, the voltage may be a little higher than what you need.
Plugpacks AC or DC output are voltage rated when the current being drawn is = to the current stated on the label

That is .... if the label says 12V 1A, then when the load is drawing 1A the voltage will be 12V, else it will be somewhat higher

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
What is the load?
If the load is a transformer, then AC is mandatory.
If the load is a bridge rectifier, then DC would be OK.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
The transformer in a 24V DC power supply is probably more like 18AC. That is because you gain a little voltage when you rectify and
smooth the AC input to DC.

On the other hand, the current capacity should be higher than 1A, because you also lose a bit in current.

Bob

Terry01

Jul 5, 2017
Cool, it's amazing the things you learn just reading other peoples posts!

Can the OP post the results as I would like to know just because I am curious. I am still learning too.

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
mistake I got the 24 Volt DC transformer 1 AMP
Just for clarification. There is nothing like a DC Transformer. What you got is a DC Power Supply that has a transformer in it. All transformers are for AC, may be low or high frequency.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Show us a picture of your "DC transformer". Modern DC power supplies are regularly switch mode supplies and cannot be modified (at least not with reasonable effort) to deliver an AC voltage at presumably mains frequency.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
It may depend on the application. For example the most common use I can think of for a 24VAC/1A transformer is a doorbell circuit and if the voltage isn't quite right, your doorbell light (if present) could be far dimmer than intended, or less likely, over-voltage and burn out prematurely.

As davenn mentioned you can measure the AC voltage off the transformer secondary, powering a dummy (resistive) load if the circuit you intended to power is sensitive to voltage.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
I was looking for a 24 Volt AC transformer 1 AMP, and by mistake I got the 24 Volt DC transformer 1 AMP.
-Luis
If this is a Wall-Wart older type, it could have a linear P.S. transformer with the typical bridge and capacitors on the output, if so, the voltage on these are typically rated at the stated load current, i.e. open circuit the voltage is higher,
If this is the case, Just use the transformer alone.
M.

luchura

Oct 25, 2019
Okay, I have open it, and check the voltage at the transformer, it is only 22 volts AC, not good for my project that requires 24 volts AC.
I have checked another 24 Volt AC transformer with a multimeter, and the voltage shows 28 Volts under no load.
I was trying to use the Transformer for an irrigation system that requires 24 volts AC.
Thank you, I have learned a lot from you guys.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
I have checked another 24 Volt AC transformer with a multimeter, and the voltage shows 28 Volts under no load.
I was trying to use the Transformer for an irrigation system that requires 24 volts AC.
That one should be fine.
M.