Maker Pro
Maker Pro

24 v dc trolling motor hook up

Dean Jackson

Apr 18, 2015
Hi, I need some help with a project of mine. I have a Motor Guide - Great White Lazer 62lb thrust trolling motor. Just the motor. It has 4 wires, Black, Red, Blue and Green. I have a pretty good understanding of an AC motor and its wiring. Not so much on a DC. I get the basic principals. I have found that the black and the red wire have great continuity almost a dead short. Im guessing field? The blue and green are completely open with all possible combinations. Is this just like independent coils on the armature for speed control? What I am ultimately trying to do is use an old school trolling motor controls and mount the motor to it. The controls are just a forward/reverse with 4 terminals and a 3 position speed switch also with 4 terminals. I believe that actual controller it goes on has a capacitor or two and some other solid state components but I just cant see why you cant shoot voltage strait to a small relatively simple motor. I have a potentiometer if that helps

genel

Apr 18, 2015
Your best bet is to find the company and ask them for a schematic or hook up diagram. The 4 wires I would think would be field and armature, but why would it need 4, I don't know. A common dc motor has the field in series or parallel with the armature, and to reverse the motor you would just reverse the polarity of the power going in. The power or rpm of the motor would be changed by the motor controller.

I guess one wire could be ground, and 3 different speeds like you said, but the continuity readings are troubling, seems almost like you have a short and/or open.