Maker Pro
Maker Pro

20W offline flyback....and a 100W Triac drive.

eem2am

Aug 3, 2009
Hi,

My boss just recently asked me to design and layout a 20W SMPS (offline flyback , vin= 85-265VAC, Vout = 36V).

This afternoon he came by and told me that the company also need a 100W variable speed Triac drive in the product, and so please could i put this on the 20W PCB too.

Would i be right in saying that 20W offline flybacks and 100W Triac VSD's don't share the same PCB very well?

Would i be right in saying that the 100W triac drive will need a considerable amount of mains filtering, and would best go on its own PCB?

The product is a shower with a pump added (for the VSD), and it has stepper motor hot and cold valves........the 20W SMPS is for powering the steppers and some LEDs

(the VSD will just have three separate speeds which will be 'chosen' by a microcontroller via opto-triac trigger.)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I don't see any particular reason why they couldn't go on the same board.

You may need to take care that one doesn't interfere with the other, but that is practically little different if they are on the same or different PCBs.

There is perhaps some potential for both circuits to share some mains filtering.