Maker Pro
Maker Pro

20Lm (1W) Blue Star LED

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
My buddy sent me this. Just curious.. Are precautions like this common for these beasts? It reads like handling RA Isotopes! :eek:

Check out the precautions for use on these 1 watt LEDs!

http://www.mpja.com/20-lm-1-Watt-BLUE-Star-LED/productinfo/19586 OP/

Precautions for use:

1. Storage

To prevent moisture absorption into High-power LEDs during the transportation and storage , the LEDs are

packed in a moisture-barrier bag. Desiccants and a humidity indicator are packed together with the LEDs as secondary protection

The shelf life of LEDs stored in the original sealed bag at <40°C and < 90% RH is 12 months. Baking is required if the shelf life has expired

Before opening the packaging , check for air leaks in the bag.

After the bag is opened, the High-power LEDs must be stored at <30°C and < 60% RH. Under these conditions,

High-power LEDs must be used within 24 hours. If the LEDs are not within 24 hours after removal

from the bag, baking is required. Take the material out of the packaging bag before baking. Do not open the

oven door frequently during the baking process.

2. Soldering

(1) Manual soldering with a soldering Iron

Use a soldering iron of less than 25 watts is recommended . The iron temperature must be kept below 315°C

And soldering time no more than 2 seconds.

The epoxy resin of an High-power LED should not contact the tip of the soldering iron.

No mechanical stress should be exerted on the resin portion of an High-power LED during soldering.

Handling of an High-power LED should be done only when the package has been cooled down to below 40°C

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I don't know, but I do know our sue-happy society today.
I'm guessing it's mostly a CYA thing, but maybe somebody will correct me.
Remember when we had cork guns that actually shot corks? Or the old spring-loaded plastic 'bullets' for our six-shooters?
Talk about 'hazardous materials', by today's standards, ....

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The issue is real.

This comes into play when you place the device into an oven to do reflow soldering.

Imagine your SO-8 package which has been sitting in a humid atmosphere for a few weeks and is suddenly heated to 260 degrees. All that water turns to steam and in doing so can crack the case of the device.

The fix is to bake the component for some period of time to drive away the excess moisture.

Some devices absorb water faster, or can't release it as well and their life out of their sealed packet (or even within it) is more limited than (say) a metal shunt resistor that doesn't absorb moisture at all.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Thanks Steve, I get it now.

Chris