Connect with us

200 AA Batteries to make a portable power supply

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by LionHearted, Dec 30, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. LionHearted

LionHearted

Dec 30, 2014
    Got some music equipment I wanna busk with but theres no battery slot... So I was just curious, can't I just get 200 1.2v batteries then get a wall socket to plug it in?

Might be a bit simple minded but I'm curious.

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hi
    welcome

wall power outlets are AC
    Batteries are DC

see the difference ;) :)

Dave

3. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Yes, but only if play only songs by AC/DC. :D

What you need is a 12V battery (like a car battery) and an inverter.

Bob

davenn, Arouse1973 and Gryd3 like this.
  4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    haha :)

5. LionHearted

LionHearted

Dec 30, 2014
    Of course, My bad ><

Thanks guys.

6. LionHearted

LionHearted

Dec 30, 2014
    Probably another bad question, is there a formula I can use to determine how long the batteries will last if I know the wattage, voltage and amps that are going to be drawn?

7. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    for rechargeable batteries, that's reasonably straightforward as they have their amphour rating on them

so say its a 2000mAHr battery that means at best you can draw 2 amps for 1 hour
    in practice/reality it will be a bit less than that because of battery voltage drop and other factors

8. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Look into deep cycle sealed lead acid batteries. These will have an amp hour rating. Since they are 12V, you multiply by 12 to get a Watt Hour rating. For example, a 35AH battery is 420 Watt Hours. If you music system uses 50W this would last about 8 hours ideally. But an inverter is going to be no more than 90% efficient, so maybe 7 hours. And furthermore, the ratings of this type of battery are for discharge over 20 hours. Faster discharge rates will reduce the available energy, so maybe 4 hours. If the music system required 100W it would be more like 2 hours.

Bob

Ask a Question