Connect with us

2 pulse generator

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by pcride, Jun 3, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. pcride

pcride

Jun 3, 2011
    Hi, I have a USB circuit board to interface with my PC and allows me to hook up toggle switches.

the board doesn't have the capibility to generate a pulse for on/off, so when I flip the switch 2x, on off, on = Close, then off on off = Open

Do I need to interface the switch with a capacitor that will generate a pulse so a toggle switch works how its supppose to? i.e On/off (up and down_)

2. pcride

pcride

Jun 3, 2011
  3. pcride

pcride

Jun 3, 2011

Here is exactly what I need to do, this guy has the USB card that I have, but you can see he added a capacitor which allows a toggle work how its suppose to.

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I can't see why you would need a pulse generator for that.

that's a plain toggle action, not a monetary contact type of thing.

You may have to explain the problem a little more clearly.

5. pcride

pcride

Jun 3, 2011
    thanks for the response.

The current board that I have doesn't support the pulse generation I need to reset the switch, like a reset switch on a computer vs a regular button. A reset you push and let go and the computer turns off , back on and starts up. My setup; I have to push the button 2x to get back on.

So imagine a toggle switch with 2 position SPDT. UP is on, Down is off. I hooked this into my USB board and I flipped it on, and the Aircraft button flipped on, when I flipped the switch down for Off, nothing happens, when I switched it back up to on, then it went off.

You see there is no "1/4 second pulse' to reset the switch after its flipped.

I know its hard to explain and I didn't understand it until I actually tested the switch and knew this wasn't what I wanted.

6. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    Sounds like a software configuration issue.

Turning the switch on, then off should show the switch on the screen being turned on then off.

Perhaps the input is configured for a momentary contact switch intended to act as push on/push off.

What configuration options do you have? Have you contacted the manufacturer for support?

7. pcride

pcride

Jun 3, 2011
    I'm sorry but I am sure that I need a 1/4 pulse generator to reset the switch. The manufacture sells 2 boards, one with and one without, I doubted it too until I hooked it up and tested it. You would think that if the switch is on, in the game the swtich is on, and turning the switch off would turn the switch off in the game, however it needs to be clicked 2x, hence the pulse geneartor

This clearly explains it

8. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    WOW! absolutely amazing.

That video covered stuff I've been so confused about for so long..

Thanks

edit: Maybe you will find this interesting.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  9. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    Normally one does not attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity. So I am at a loss as to why the manufacturer does stuff the way he does since it would require inordinate amounts of stupidity. It is far more likely that they want to sell as many units as possible.

In any case, I can see three solutions to your problem.

Solution 1

[​IMG]

The simple approach of having the one toggle switch control 2 inputs. Presumably both generate the same keystroke, so each toggle produces a keystroke.

Each of the outputs goes to a different channel.

Solution 2

[​IMG]

This is what I think the youtube poster uses. Each toggle of the switch produces a pulse. The output in this case goes between one input and ground.

Solution 3

[​IMG]

Here's another approach that might work. More components, but smaller and no relays. Does essentially what the circuit above this does. The output will be briefly pulled low on each toggle.

All of these circuits suffer from the same problem, that is the initial position of the toggle switch may be the opposite to what is shown on the display. The "correct" approach would be for the software to detect the switch closing and opening and send a configurable keystroke for these actions.

If you have any problems wiring these circuits up, see here.

Attached Files:

10. pcride

pcride

Jun 3, 2011
    Wiring 2 capacitors and a Reed relay

Hi, I am very new to electronics and don't know much other than what I have learned on the web over the last week.

I need to wire up 2 1000 UF capacitors together and also include a reed relay )SPST into a Toggle switch SPDT.

On my circuit board I have a 5V and GRND.

Can someone help me wire all this up? Also am I at risk for an electrical shock?? The USB card circuit board just plugs into my computer. Its only 5V coming out the USB board so I wouldn't think so but again not sure!

This is what I need to do.

11. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    1. Please don't start another thread for the same issue.

2. we still don't know how this guy wired up those components (but my guess is #2 above)

3. no, 5V is safe. (and yes it all will be running at 5V or lower).

12. pcride

pcride

Jun 3, 2011
    I was able to figure this out with another fellow's help on youtube.

Thanks

13. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    OK, so it's exactly equivalent to what I suggested as solution #2.

I'll point out a few things in that youtube video.

1) He places the capacitors on the opposite side of the relay to me. This has no effect on the operation.

2) he places 2 1000uF capacitors in series. This is the same as having a single 500uF capacitor (that's right, half the value). You could save yourself some money by purchasing a single 470uF capacitor. A 10V rating would be sufficient, but anything higher would be OK too.

On note #2 above. To add the capacitances together, you would place them in parallel, not series. Placing them in series like this does increase the voltage that can be placed on them, but that is not an issue here.

14. pcride

pcride

Jun 3, 2011
    thanks, I just needed more detailed diagrams. Simplified. which I got from the fellow on youtube.

Do you know how many switches can be set up on this configuration? If switching one toggle, does that trigger the rest of they are all running through the relay and capacitor?

15. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    Each one will require a relay and a capacitor.

Note that when the program first starts off it will not know the position of the switches. It is thus probable that if the switches are in the wrong position the display on the screen will be exactly the opposite of the orientation of the switch.

You also *may* be able to cause/cure this problem by switching the toggle back and forth too quickly.

Ask a Question