Connect with us

2-channel passive mixer-independent volume control for each pickup

Discussion in 'Project Construction Technologies' started by bluebb, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    I don't see why not.
    Does the Fishman already have a volume control that you use during a gig? If so, that would be the master volume control.
    I doubt it. From what I read, guitar piezo pickups can put out several mV.

bluebb and BobK like this.
  2. bluebb

bluebb

Feb 7, 2019
    yes,the fishman's volume control would be the master volume,the master volume in the diagram i put in the answer #57 would be the gain,and the i have two volume pots for each pickup.
    This would be the best solution for me,but there are the answers #58 and #59.
    :-(

3. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    If I were using that MicroPre unit then, rather than use the post #57 circuit, I'd revert to the post #22 circuit but, now that we know the preamp output impedance is 3.5k, with R1 and R2 omitted and with the blend lin pot value increased to 25k to give a wider blend range.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    bluebb likes this.
  4. bluebb

bluebb

Feb 7, 2019
    you mean the figure 5 from this:

https://www.schattendesign.com/PDF/MicroPre.pdf

but without the "Tone" pot and the capacitor.(i have to EQ on the Fishman):
    temp2.0x0.jpg

But schatten says 500k for blend pot,and 500k for volume pot,why?check it:

https://reverb.com/item/4129280-sch...r-micro-pre-2-piezo-buffer-preamp-two-channel

This schatten's values are to go directly in the P.A. and you told me the values into another preamp?
    Thx

5. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    No. That uses a dual-gang log pot for balance (blend).
    You can go the Schatten route if you want. In post #63 I was saying how I'd do it.
    Those are high prices in the link.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    bluebb likes this.
  6. bluebb

bluebb

Feb 7, 2019
    Ok, you're telling me that using,"1 dual-gang log pot of 500k and 1 log pot of 500k" or "1 lin pot of 25k and 1 log pot of 50k" will give "about" the same result??

I didn't know that is possible having a blend/balance with a normal pot (not dual).
    The dual gang offers more connection possibilities,but in this case is un-needed,right?

7. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    No, I'm not. I think both options would work, but there are differences. A 500k logarithmic balance pot would provide a greater range of adjustment, but that will only be important if you want a big imbalance between the two pickups, e.g if one is magnetic and the other is piezo. Not being a guitarist, I don't know how much adjustment you are likely to want.
    That higher resistance, plus having two pots rather than one, makes the setup more prone to interference pickup.

bluebb likes this.
  8. bluebb

bluebb

Feb 7, 2019
    yes,i bought a little alluminium box(3x3.5x8.5cm),and I will put all in the box,all will be good shielded,the cables also i bought are braided shielded.
    This because i will put 3 pots,master volume,and volume for each pickup,i think this is the best solution,the pickups are with different outputs voltage and it's better with 1 pot for each.
    The bridge plate piezo "K&K pure mini":
    preuzmi.jpeg

which is three piezos in series has i think double voltage than the undersaddle piezo "Fishman matrix":
    12183292_800.jpg
    Thanks!

9. bluebb

bluebb

Feb 7, 2019
    please check this article,this the reason i connected the input to the centre lug:

https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Onli...ing/Understanding_Guitar_Wiring_I-4000_4.html

Thanks

10. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
Ask a Question