Connect with us

1972 IBM Selectric II typewriter with stuck carriage

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Bruce Bills, Jun 16, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Bruce Bills

Bruce Bills

Jun 16, 2016
    Help please.
    I have an early IBM Selectric II typewriter.n(dated 1972) It worked fine until I was transporting it in my car and someone pulled out in front , making me hit the brakes. The machine flew off the front seat into the foot well. Since then , it turns on fine but will only type or advance the carriage about 4 spaces before jamming. The return works fine. I have removed it from the case but can find nothing jammed. If anyone could tell me where to look please and thanks.

2. supertech007

supertech007

Feb 28, 2014
    make sure nothing is stuck or binding sounds like bent head shaft

3. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    Sir Bruce Bills . . . . . . .

Thru a time span of ~35 years I have had one initial model 91 and then two Selectrics and a final IBM Memorywriter.
    I am sustaining from any further keystrokes / info until I see if you ever show up here again.

73's de Edd

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2016
  4. Sunnysky

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
    The few times I used a Selectric were to play Moonlander between classes in 1970.
    Adjusting the Thrust level for each 10 sec of flight time , and trying not to make a crater which is calculated if you crash out if fuel.

Ask a Question