Maker Pro
Maker Pro

180vdc to 75 vdc

muralid

Oct 25, 2016
HI all

I need a circuit to convert 200v dc to 80 vdc for powering a drive. how that can be done...

I simply cant use voltage divider rule or anything since the amps drawn by the drive is upto 2 amps

Kind help required

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
To drop 4A at120V with resistors will waste 240W and will need a lot of cooling.
The way to do this will be a buck convertor but whether you can find one with the required high voltages is doubtful.

Some mains power supplies start with a rectifier to give DC and then chop this down to the required output. They should then run on DC without modification.

The power required (320W) could be within the range of a computer power supply and one of these could be modified to give the higher voltage.

And welcome to the forum.

muralid

Oct 25, 2016
thanks for your reply duke37,
I didnt understant the following quoted text from you,
The power required (320W) could be within the range of a computer power supply and one of these could be modified to give the higher voltage.

Iam just a beginner in electrical... can u please explain it in simple terms...

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
Both the stated voltages are non standard. What exactly are you planning to do?

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
A computer power supply rectifies the mains to give a very high DC voltage which is then chopped and fed to an inductor/transformer to get lower voltage and this is then rectified to give DC output at various voltages.
It would be feasible to rewind the inductor to give the voltages that you desire and fit suitable rectifiers and capacitors. Not a simple job for a novice.

I have not seen Daveelectronic lately, he knew all about computer power supplies.

muralid

Oct 25, 2016
First of all i thank you all for ur kind help

A computer power supply rectifies the mains to give a very high DC voltage which is then chopped and fed to an inductor/transformer to get lower voltage and this is then rectified to give DC output at various voltages.
It would be feasible to rewind the inductor to give the voltages that you desire and fit suitable rectifiers and capacitors. Not a simple job for a novice.

can i get any cicuitry..

I assume it a battery bank? If so why not do as others have suggested and tap off the appropriate point on the bank.

No it is not a power bank

Then why not just use 80v worth of the batteries..???

Both the stated voltages are non standard. What exactly are you planning to do?

There is an existing panel which stores the solar energy in a battery, which ouputs 200vdc, which is required to operate the existing machine. with that existing system iam going to interface a motor drive which operates at 75v dc .....

this is exactlywhat iam going to do.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
stores the solar energy in a battery, which ouputs 200vdc

a 200V battery ? ... never seen one of those
do you have a make and model and maybe a link to / or pic ?

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
"can i get any cicuitry.."

Search for 'computer power supply schematic'