Maker Pro
Maker Pro

18 volt timer

stinkingdog101

Sep 19, 2010
I am using two 18 volt cordless drill batteries to power a 12 volt trolling motor. It is a low budget toy that I am assembling out of PVC pipe . I want to be able to use a timer on this motor that will not exceed 5 minute run time. As you can see I have a disparity between the voltages > although the motor seems quite happy at 18 volts. I saw a timer on Ebay that is a DEI 528T adjustable 12 volt pulse timer but the timing only runs up to 90 seconds. This seems idea with the exception of the run time. I need at least 1 to 5 minutes adjustable. ALso the voltage is wrong. Any ideas as to how I ca get this home built project off the ground would certainly be appreciated.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
My only input, would be that over time, you may cook your 12V motor, running it at 18V. I think you should drop your voltage, then work on your timer. Frankly, I'd be looking at an already build timer, mechanical if possible (used a lot in sauna/spa applications. (Works basically like an egg or cooking single-turn wind-up timer, with elec contacts.)
All Electronics Corp in California frequently has cheap timers like this. They buy closeouts from companies who end production runs, and then sell-off their excess inventory. If you go to them on the net, and get on their mailing list, you get their most recent stock in a printed catalog, once a month (besides what you see on their website). Good luck on the project.

NickS

Apr 6, 2010
Don't forget scavenging. You can find high current wind up timers in toaster ovens too so maybe a trip to a local second hand store could yield the part. As for the voltage drop you want to use a buck converter but for us to be much help we need to know what kind of power the motor requires.