Connect with us

12VDC / 1.2A ... from a vehicle battery

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by HustonBrown, May 22, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. HustonBrown

HustonBrown

May 22, 2012
    I am working on a project where I will need to have power from a vehicle battery supply an electronic device that needs 12vDC/ 1.2 A . This is going to be a device that will be positioned 16-24 feet beyond the battery.

I was hoping for some advice that wouldn't require getting a power inverter.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thank you,

Huston

2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    If the vehicle has a 12V battery, you can run the device directly from it. If it is a car (not a motorcyle or truck) it almost certainly has a 12V battery. The easiest way to do this is from the lighter socket which you can get a plug for at Radio Shack. Just get the polarity (+ and -) right when you connect it.

Bob

3. HustonBrown

HustonBrown

May 22, 2012
    Thank you for the quick reply BobK

This is a truck battery, and the wiring will be on the exterior of the cab.

I would like for it to be able to draw power when the keys are not in the ignition, but I only want it to draw power when in use, not constantly...

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    It is okay as long as the battery is 12V. Of course it would only draw power when in use.

Bob

Ask a Question