Connect with us

12vac to 12vdc

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by s cass, Aug 6, 2003.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. s cass

    s cass Guest

    12vac to 12vdc?
    how to ?

    12vac from 12vac landscape lighting transformer 100 to 200 watts
    12 - 24vdc .350ma

  2. Fred Bloggs

    Fred Bloggs Guest

    Use a voltage doubling rectifier and filter capacitor hookup to drive a
    National LM2675-ADJ simple switching regulator. See the "Power" section
    at for more detail and to run a simulation.
  3. TCS

    TCS Guest

    Do you mean a fullwave rectifier? Voltage doubling is an entirely
    different beast.

    No need for a switching regulator either. A 7812 will do the trick
    just fine. 12Vac=~17Vpeak; the 5V extra is plenty to cover the 7812's
    voltage drop.

    Summary: 12vac -> full wave rectifier -> cap (500uf or so) -> 7812 =
  4. N. Thornton

    N. Thornton Guest


    Just one additional point: transformer regulation. IRL you can expect
    10% more voltage out because your 100w transformer is only lightly

    You wont need any regulator if youre happy with 16-19v rather than

    Regards, NT
  5. Fred Bloggs

    Fred Bloggs Guest

    I was taking the "12 - 24vdc .350ma" in the body of the post to mean he
    wanted an adjustable output over that range. Now it is becoming clear
    that the OP has copied labels he sees on some some junk he owns- since
    nothing adds up.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day