Connect with us

12V solenoid valve recommendation

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by dwreck, Sep 4, 2012.

1. dwreck

dwreck

Aug 19, 2012
    Hey guys,

I'm looking for a 12V solenoid valve. I've seen plenty on the internet, but I have never used one before, so not really sure which one to get.

I'll be using it with a 12 or 16 gram co2 cartridge, depending on the dimension. It should be a normally closed valve, and the smaller and lighter the better.

For those of you who have used solenoid valves before, any recommendations please?

I look forward to reading your replies.

Thanks in advance.

2. zms2004

zms2004

Sep 4, 2012
    I most commonly use Asco, smc, or Parker for pneumatic applications. They range from 1/8npt up to whatever size you'd need. All valves that I've used have been Normally closed. I've used all these companies well over 100 times. Check with companies who deal with air suspension. They range from 25$+ usually. Hope that helps some.

3. Electrobrains

Electrobrains

Jan 2, 2012
    I have used SMC, Festo and other brands of valves and I suppose they are all good within their specifications.

What worries me a bit is the intention to use the valve with a CO2 cartridge. I don't know the pressure inside those cartridges. Quickly searching google showed numbers like 800psi, 1000psi...

Be aware of that normal valves for compressed air are usually specified for up to 10 bar (145psi)!
    You could get serious problems there...

4. dwreck

dwreck

Aug 19, 2012
    Thank you both for your reply :)

I honestly wasn't aware of that pressure capacity difference between the cartridge and the solenoid valve. Have to go back to the drawing board now.

5. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    What is the application?

6. dwreck

dwreck

Aug 19, 2012
    Hi CocaCola,

I remember you were helping me out in my first post a couple of weeks back.

This post is regarding the same application (regulating the flow of co2 from a cartridge). I'm just not sure of which solenoid valve to use and whether or not it will do the job.
    Apparently the pressure in the co2 cartridge is too high compared to what a normal 12V solenoid valve can hold.

7. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Normal is relative, there are plenty of 12V 1000PSI solenoid valves out there, you can also take a small gate valve and twist it with a servo... There are lots of options to consider, do you need the high pressure? If not you can discharge the CO2 into a larger holding tank and then use that lower pressure... The specifics of the project will help narrow the options...

As I suggested in the previous thread, there are manual airsoft valves that can handle the CO2 pressure just fine, replace the finger hitting the trigger with a solenoid... I know you have 'gun' issues but you might very well be able to source similar components on their own...

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  8. dwreck

dwreck

Aug 19, 2012
    I like the idea of using a small gate valve and twisting it with a servo.

And yes, I do need the high pressure to provide a burst of propulsion.

9. dwreck

dwreck

Aug 19, 2012
    But I think I've had enough with solenoid valves :D It's giving me a headache.
    I'll just go with my original idea of using a servo motor operating a trigger. I can do this quickly and test it.

Thank you for your help though. Really appreciate it :)

10. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Do you need multiple burst or a single one? If you just need one burst you can simply pop the canisters foil tip with a sharpened solenoid...

11. dwreck

dwreck

Aug 19, 2012
    Just a single burst.
    Can you please give me an example of a sharpened solenoid?

12. dwreck

dwreck

Aug 19, 2012
    Or would I have to weld a sharp metal pin to it?

13. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    I would pick up a small soleniod like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-Pull...160?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5fe3cae8

Please note that I just grabbed that random Ebay consider shopping around... This one is nice because it contains the hole and slit it the shaft... And it's also advertised as a 'pull' so it works nice in this application with the return spring...

You would make a small 'firing pin' out of some scrap steel that looks something like this...
    [​IMG]

Attach that to the end of the solenoid and assemble it something like this...

[​IMG]

Note you will want to make a track or guides for the 'firing pin' to slid in to keep in on target since the piston in the solenoid is free floating and will twist side to side...

The reason for using the offset firing pin and solenoid is so that there is only a little bit of obstruction on the CO2 gas being discharged...

This is of course just the basics, be mindful when assembling, tuning and playing with this do that all with an already discharged CO2 cartridge so you don't have any surprises... Load it only when you are ready to rock and roll...

Attached Files:

14. dwreck

dwreck

Aug 19, 2012
    Wow! Thank you so much for that reply! Pretty much spoon-fed me :D I had a conceptual design of a firing pin attached to a mousetrap spring. But, I have a bad history with mousetrap in general, and I think this a great alternative way of approaching it. I have a few 12-gram cartridges and another two empty ones which I'll use to test the system.
    I'll definitely try my original method too, and see which one works better for me.

Thank you again!

15. PAFMElb

PAFMElb

Mar 20, 2017
    I have used these solenoids cited earlier ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-Pull...160?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5fe3cae8) and found them puny.

That is, not very strong pull. You might have troubles getting the requisite force. On the other hand you might succeed with one by dumping a large (say 500 to 1500ufd) capacitor charged to double or triple the solenoid's nominal voltage. That would give enough kick without doing any harm to the solenoid. I also think that with such a small CO2 charge you would need to get the firing pin out of the way quickly so it doesn't interfere with the gas flow.

Ask a Question