Maker Pro
Maker Pro

12V Soldering iron.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hi guys/gals,
I am looking to buy a 12V iron for vehicle use.
Car wiring comes in different gauges as you all know. I have gas powered irons and an old very cheap 12V iron but want a semi decent one.
What brand would you recommend and what wattage?. I want it to last and if possible have spare parts available. I was looking at 40W irons but am not sure.
TIA
Edit: Forgot to ask whether crock clips, cigarette socket or both?
Martin

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
What brand would you recommend and what wattage?
Any true brand. Weller is good, but a tad expensive.
So is Ersa, but the 12 V versions I find are 6 W only, probably not enough for your applications?
Another brand that turns up regularly in this context is Hakko. Beware of Hakko clones, however.
The TS100 soldering iron is made by many manufacturers and is very versatile. Runs on any DC power source from 12 V ... 24 V. At 65 W more than enough power for lots of soldering jobs. Depending on what you need to solder even 25 W may be good enough for many jobs.

On the other hand, no name irons come at very low cost, e.g. this one at less than 7 £. For this prize you can buy many irons instead og one Weller. Not so eco-friendly, though.
It may also give some satisfaction to work qith a quality brand iron instead of a no-name one. A matter of personal taste, I say.

crock clips, cigarette socket or both?
Where do you want to use the iron? in the passenger compartment you'll have easy access to a cigarette socket. Not so under the hood. So probably best to have both options.

Cheers,
Harald

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Thanks @bertus and @Harald Kapp .
I do have cheap £10 12V irons but wanted a ‘proper’ one. My gas (butane) are great if you remember to carry spare gas.
I do both, inside cars and outside. I can usually get by with 240V if extension lead is long enough but want a good dedicated 12V iron.
I have ordered the Weller as a friend in France works for Wurth. A little over priced but it’s a Xmas present to me! :)

Martin

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
Check behind your spider webs for a forgotten 12VDC to 230VAC inverter and use your preferred AC iron. Or find an inverter that will allow to use a variety of AC irons. -100W? capable-
Just keep in mind that the inverter must be capable of starting at around 10VDC, not at 14VDC as most of the chinese ones in the market almost do. If not, return it to vendor.

Last edited:

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Thanks for the idea @Externet .
An inverter would not be practical for most situations. However, cleaning the cob webs is an excellent idea!.

Martin