Connect with us

12V RV battery repair

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by [email protected], Jul 3, 2007.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Guest

    My 12v deep cycle/marin RV batteries tipped over and leaked. Can the
    batteries be repaired/re-used and charged up again, or do I need to
    pop the caps off somehow, add water/acid or something to replace the
    leaked acid prior to putting back in service.
     
  2. If it has spilled, it has to be re-filled with acid to the correct
    strength.
     
  3. Jerry G.

    Jerry G. Guest

    If the batteries are not damaged, the acid must be replaced with the
    correct type. If you ever add water to a battery, it must be distilled
    water, not tap water that contains minerals in it.

    If the batteries are damaged, then they must be replaced.


    Jerry G.
     
  4. default

    default Guest

    "Pop the caps off somehow?" This a "sealed lead acid battery?" In
    theory they don't leak even when upside down - or so the hype says.
    Doubtless there's some mechanism to vent a case under pressure since
    venting is likely to be less likely to create a lawsuit than bursting.

    They (regular liquid electrolyte cells) don't "have" to be replaced
    simply because you lost a little acid. You do need to add dilute
    sulphuric acid to replace what was lost (or if it was an insignificant
    amount like 3-4 ounces in a large battery just top off with distilled
    or de ionized water.

    An old fashioned garage will have a "box" of the correct strength acid
    and will likely do it for little or nothing. My local farmer's supply
    place sells the whole gallon bag for $4. I've gone both routes - to
    fill dry shipped motorcycle batteries.

    Now, if the batteries tipped over last season and you haven't done
    anything since, a loss of acid is probably the least of your worries.

    Dilute sulphuric is dangerous - keep away from metals use only
    polyethylene or glass or rubber to handle it. Wear safety glasses.

    Concentrated sulphuric is viscous and oily yellow in appearance - and
    goes through skin like it isn't there - the so called dilute stuff is
    still very dangerous - treat it with respect.
     
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day

-