Connect with us

12v lighting system

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by Tom C, Aug 10, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Tom C

Tom C

Aug 10, 2015
    Good evening

I’m new to this forum and I’m after a bit of advice.

I’ve set up a 12v lighting system in my garage, using 3 X 14W florescent bulbs, which have worked OK for some years now. This set up was always a petty gloomy affair and replacement bulbs are hard to find a costly.

I have purchased 6 X 12V automotive reversing lamps with 21W bulbs, which I would like to use, mainly for the white light and low cost. It’s very apparent that my current (Leisure) battery is not up to the job as the bulbs are only bright enough when two are used. The lighting is set up in parallel, and checked battery, which is OK.

I’m unsure of my current battery A/Hr as it’s not shown on the battery.

The question is: What size battery would I need? Recommended wire size would also be helpful.

Happy to set up a battery bank, also worth noting that the lighting system is only used for the amount of time it takes to put my car in the garage, or find a tool in my tool box, so 10 minutes max. In the day, the battery is charged by a solar panel.

Thank you for reading

Tom C

2. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    LEDs will give more lumens per watt.

Ask a Question