Maker Pro
Maker Pro

12v In A Bathroom

Michael Fishet

Jun 30, 2017
Does anyone know if you can get a shock from a 12v light in a bathroom after it's gone through a transformer

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Assuming you're talking an isolation transformer then no.

Some 'transformers' are SMPS (switched mode) and isolation may be suspect. The transforming device will have the internationally recognised 'double-isolated' symbol (a square within a square) signifying its suitability.

To be perfectly safe you should power the primary of the transformer through a RCD protected supply.

Michael Fishet

Jun 30, 2017
Assuming you're talking an isolation transformer then no.

Some 'transformers' are SMPS (switched mode) and isolation may be suspect. The transforming device will have the internationally recognised 'double-isolated' symbol (a square within a square) signifying its suitability.

To be perfectly safe you should power the primary of the transformer through a RCD protected supply.

Thank you, by the way it's going to a bathroom mirror demister pad. Are these devises fairly low in power requirement?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The manufacturer will list the specifications to include power consumption but generally they take around as much as a small light maybe 10W to 50W (???) depending on mirror size/shape.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
One manufacturer says "A 50cm by 50cm unit uses only 50 Watts of power per hour".

32Vwasbetteronboats

Feb 18, 2017
Does anyone know if you can get a shock from a 12v light in a bathroom after it's gone through a transformer

Maybe if the bulb is burned out and that inductance thing gets you when you turn the switch off.

I Feel like this is a trick question on a true or false test. I will say true to be on the safe side.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
What does 50W per hour mean?
It means their marketing department doesn't understand that the "per hour" doesn't need mentioned. It's always per hour unless otherwise specified in what would be a marketing department, deceptive way.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
It's basically 1/20th of a kWhr (a standard unit for pricing electricity) so if you pay 10c/kWhr then the cost of running the mirror is 0.5c per hour.
Still a 'stupid' way of stating power consumption though.....

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
What does 50W per hour mean?
It is rubbish.
The power is 50W, hours should not be stated and only confuses things
A watt is 1J/s so 1W for 1sec = 1J. A joule is a very small energy unit so energy is often sold in amounts of 3.6MJ or 1kWh.

Oh dear, I think I am confusing things.

In the UK electrical work in a bathroom must be done by a registered person to the current standards which are quite complicated.
Lifts to get old fogeys like me in and out of a bath are usually powered by a 12V battery, not connected to anything else.
12V is normally safe but it is the current which is important and this could be quite high when a large area is covered in conducting soap. Personally I would not risk it.
The mirror is presumably designed for the job and could be safely installed by an electrician but if the maker dosn't know how to describe power power consumption, do they know how to make the device to safety standards?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010

If it's a switch mode power supply you can get capacitive coupling from the mains to the output. You can get a tingle when touching the output. The current is very small, and it's usually more alarming than actually dangerous.