Connect with us

12v EL glow wire

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by john2k, Oct 23, 2019.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. john2k

john2k

Jun 13, 2012
    I have a 12v EL glow wire. It seems to come with some sort plastic cover at the end. I need to push the cover in to a hole but when doing so it gets tight. Can I remove the cover cap and refit it after I've fished it through a hole? What is the purpose of the end cap? As it comes of easily can I tape it or super glue it?

Also can EL wire be cut? And then cover fitted again? Or does the driver drive the length of the wire and cutting it effects the electronics ?

2. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    What is EL glow wire.?

3. Nanren888

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
    The only electroluminescent wire I've used used a low voltage supply, but had a step up converter to higher voltage. That is; the small box sings when running. :)
    I've seen multiple references to cutting it. Google it. Just now I found
    https://www.instructables.com/community/can-you-cut-el-wire/

The notes usually include: don't short the inner to the outer and seal the end so moisture doesn't get in.

4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    See e.g.

5. Nanren888

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
    It's never seems as bright as the images and as shown, some colours are brighter than others. But it is fun.

Ask a Question