Connect with us

12v dimmer

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by shady, Jul 31, 2018.

1. shady

shady

Aug 3, 2013
    I've bought a few 12v DC PWM motor speed controller/dimmers to dim a halogen light bulb. The problem i'm getting is the dimmer is making a high pitch sound from the dimmer. Am I using the wrong type of dimmer?

What i really needed was a 6v dimmer, which can handle about 4A.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  2. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    Sir shady . . . . .

That just might be a result of the design aspects of the beast, and the DEVELOPED FREQUENCY that it is creating to feed the "lite bub".
    An exploratory test might be to see if a 1000 ufd 25 ufd electrolytic capacitor being placed across the lamp, with its positive lead connected to the line feeding to the lamp and its negative lead connected to the common ground that the dimmer and lamp both share .
    See if it abates or disappears then.

73's de Edd

Richard9025 likes this.
  3. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    Your PWM frequency could be on the low side?
    Max.

4. shady

shady

Aug 3, 2013
    "Sir Shady" <-- that's funny

I was looking LV dimmable transformer with an output of 6v AC but i only can find 12v AC. Ok, i change the bulb to a 12v but i can't find an ideal dimmer. Anyone come across any?

5. shady

shady

Aug 3, 2013
    These 12v DC PWM motor speed controller/dimmers I bought work fine if connected to LED's without making any high pitch sound, so I don't think they're ideal for halogen lamps.

Anyway I've found what I was looking for, lighting control for a microscope.

[​IMG]

Ask a Question