Connect with us

12V DC convert for 9V DC

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Robert WiLLbanks, Apr 25, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Robert WiLLbanks

Robert WiLLbanks

Apr 25, 2016
    Hello All,
    I have a hot air balloon chase vehicle RV. I am planning to use a baby monitor to provide listening intercom from the salon in my RV to my driver position. I have the portable battery receiver unit to mount next to the driver. This portable piece is driven by a 9Vbattery. I plan on hard mounting the transmitter over the sofa in order to hear conversations behind my driver position. I will be able to participate in the conversations by being able to understand more clearly any questions,.
    My dilemma is that the transmitter has no 9V battery compartment but uses a 12v plug in power supply, I want to hard wire to my 12 volt RV system. What components will I need to solder in line to reduce the voltage to 9VDC.

Any assistance you can offer is greatly appreciated.
    Buoyantly
    Professor Bob

2. Herschel Peeler

Herschel Peeler

Feb 21, 2016
    LM7809T and wire.
    (edited to add ...)
    Oops, couldn't find a source for one of those. LM7808T will get you to 8 V. Available from Jameco Electronics for about $0.35.
    Another possibility is an LM317T and a couple of resistors, If I supplied a schematic could you build it?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  3. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    :confused: So why do you need a 9V supply?

4. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    My thought exactly, and even if it wants 9V it will probably work well on 12V.

By the way, you should be aware that you're "bugging" your own vehicle, making the conversation inside available to anyone nearby with a modicum of technical knowledge.

5. Robert WiLLbanks

Robert WiLLbanks

Apr 25, 2016
    Thanks for your help.

Ask a Question