Connect with us

12v brushless fan connection

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by EmAre, Jan 18, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. EmAre

EmAre

Dec 23, 2013
    I am delighted to find this forum, perhaps someone can help me with a rather simple problem which I have been unable to solve. I have a 12v brushless fan from a computer and would like to use it to circulate air in a small trailer. I have a 12v power transformer of similar amperage but the fan has 3 wires. Is there some sort of starting circuit? How should it be connected to the transformer? Thanks for any information.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Of it has 3 wires, the red and black ones are for power and the yellow one may be for feedback to allow the computer to determine the speed of rotation.

See here.

Note that fans run from DC. If the transformer is literally a transformer, you'll get AC. The power supply you eventually use should have the same voltage as required for the fan (typically 12V) and be able to supply at least the current required by the fan, preferably a little more. If it a lot more, that's OK too -- it will only use what it needs.

3. EmAre

EmAre

Dec 23, 2013
    12v brushless fan 3 wire ID

Thanks steve, unfortunately all the wires are the same colour. Will there be a different resistance between the different wires which would give me an idea which was the "tach" wire? I think I must be using the wrong name for my transformer. The device which I am using is labeled as a 'switching adaptor' and has an output of 12volts DC. I thought it was a transformer but clearly my knowledge is a bit sketchy.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  4. EmAre

EmAre

Dec 23, 2013
    Solved the problem with trial and error, Thanks for the help

Ask a Question