Connect with us

12v/5V car charger help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by bonesmasher, Oct 21, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. bonesmasher

bonesmasher

Oct 21, 2012
    Hello from sunny and warm Croatia!

I have a question for charging wifi router on my boat.
    Router is Huawei b260A, it have ac/dc adapter (euro 220/5V) and other side usb type b.
    Router consumption is 10W (5V).

I wanted to charge it with car adapter,so i bought 5v 2A adapter,and i used printer cable usb to usb type b, but it didnt worked,no lights or wifi.

I tried with other charger 1A(for iphone) and router light turned on but there was no wifi.

Is there some solution to charge that damn :) router?

thenk you very much!!!

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Well you are going to need at least 2A, that is the reason you phone one failed, get one like that that is at least 2A preferably more and it should work... As for why the other one failed my guess is that there was simply not something hooked up correctly...

** Check the pin out of the USB plug that goes into the router, just because it's a USB plug doesn't mean they followed the USB standard since it was designed to power the unit not as a communication cable... This might explain why the one USB charger didn't work...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  3. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Another thing to keep in mind, many of the 'car phone chargers' are 'smart' they adjust the output current depending whatever they sense, this could be causing issues as you will likely want a solid steady output from the charger for this device... Thus it might be advisable to simply build your own power supply with a low cost 2A linear regulator (7805 style) in a craft box... It's an easy circuit just a few caps to smooth things out and the regulator, possibly a heat sink to keep it running cool...

I know I have had issues recently with my newer smart phones and the 'smart' car adapters... I have been too lazy to see exactly what is happening but either the phone will complain/lockup/or act erratic or the charger will shut down... I recently gutted one of those wonky chargers and swapped out to a regular linear regulator and it now works flawless...

Ask a Question