Connect with us

12V 4A supply for a peltier heat pump

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Neha, Apr 17, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Neha

Neha

Apr 17, 2012
    i need help designing a 12V 4A regulated supply for a peltier heat pump. Any suggestions as to which ICs one could use for voltage regulation?

Thanks in advance

2. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    Rather than build something you would probably be better off trying to find something like this

But if you are adamant on it we would need a little more info...

Where are you from?
    what are the ratings coming from your wall?

Do you have any experience with electronics?

3. Neha

Neha

Apr 17, 2012
    Yes, I have experience with electronics- this power supply is a part of my final year engineering project. Let me be specific, I've been able to design a standard 12V, 1A regulated power supply using a bridge rectifier with 4 1n4007 diodes, assorted capacitors to eliminate the ripple and a 7805 voltage regulator (Though now we've replaced those with store brought SMPS's)

But I'd like to know which voltage regulator I could use for high current regulation. I came across some solutions that involved using 3 regulators in parallel but I can't seem to understand the fundamentals of how they work.

Any help would be welcome!

4. Neha

Neha

Apr 17, 2012
    I'm from India which means the power supply here is 230V, 50Hz!

I do have a 230Vac to 12Vdc, 4A transformer which we salvaged from an old project that was lying around

5. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    I would get a prebuilt one and tear it down to see what they use and get some ideas from that

Having never taken anything that beefy apart I would assume that they use something like what you were talking about, with the multiple regulators

Just remember basic electronics theory, voltage in parallel stays the same, current is combined (assuming constant voltage)

6. Neha

Neha

Apr 17, 2012
    thanks!

7. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    I wonder whether anything sophistcated is needed. I would think that a transformer and rectifier would be adequate. Doesn't the Peltier behave like a resistance?

Ask a Question