Maker Pro
Maker Pro

120v AC to multiple 12v DC?

Robot

Mar 10, 2014
This is my first attempt at wiring electronics, and my first post here, so I apologize in advance if my question doesn't make any sense. :D

So I'm trying to create a little machine that has ten separate 12v DC components, and I'd like them all to be powered via a single 120v AC wall plug and a single on/off switch.
(I also attached a little diagram showing what I'm trying to do)

My questions are:
1. What would be the best and safest way to do this?
2. Should the on/off switch come before or after the conversion from AC to DC? Or does it not matter?
3. When a current is split up between multiple components, is it split equally between all of them?

Edit: I actually meant six components total, not ten. One small air pump and five thermoelectric cooling/heating plates.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E4GY0FC/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009X6ADCM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• diagram.png
    diagram.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
You need a power adaptor. What current are you expecting the circuits to draw?
Adam

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
One of the components is 30A and the rest are all 5.8A

so you have 5 rails of 12V and each one needs a max of 5.8A ?
and another 12V rail drawing 30A

are these 5 rails really drawing up ~ 5A each ?
if they are really drawing as much as 5.8 A each then the total current for that = 29A
the supply would have to be capable of ~ 35A so as not to be working at max capability
then you have another 30A rail needs to be ~ 35A capability

So now we have a 12VDC supply capable of 70Amps !! that's a hefty PSU
not impossible, but DEFINATELY NOT a first project consideration!! specially when there's mains power involved

for your safety and LONG LIFE
I suggest you do some googling for commercial 12VDC 70A PSU's SMPS ( Switchmode PSU types)

awaiting your clarifications

Dave

Last edited:

Robot

Mar 10, 2014
Ohhh, I assumed those were the amps required, but I now see those are the max rated amps for each device...
How do I determine the recommended or required amount?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I think those amp numbers are correct, based on the amazon pages I bought them from.

Essentially, I'm just trying to power five thermoelectric plates:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E4GY0FC/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And one air pump:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009X6ADCM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With a single wall plug. Am I in over my head here?

yes ... its a really major project

as I suggested earlier do some searching for a commercial 12V 70A PSU preferably SMPS type for small size and low weight

Dave

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Ohhh, I assumed those were the amps required, but I now see those are the max rated amps for each device...
How do I determine the recommended or required amount?

the required current is what is written on the label of the devices in question

Dave

Robot

Mar 10, 2014
Thanks for helping me learn this stuff.
I feel pretty silly though, I completely misread the amperage for the pump, the max is actually 350mA.
I looked up the SMPS you mentioned, but after a little research I think those are beyond my experience level and price range. Instead I might just buy a power strip and have each plate use a separate 120vac to 12vdc 5a converter, and try to pack them all into a discreet-ish box. It's kind of a ghetto solution, but it should work I think.

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
OK so knocking out the additional 30 amps helps lots
you would get away with a single SMPS rated at 12V and ~ 35 Amps
or even a couple of 12V 15A ones

its going to be much nicer, cheaper and more compact than a mass of plugpacks
6 amp plugpacks may be really hard to find

You didn't answer my earlier question on what the current was as noted on the cooler/heater label ??

Dave

Last edited:

Robot

Mar 10, 2014
OK so knocking out the additional 30 amps helps lots
you would get away with a single SMPS rated at 12V and ~ 35 Amps
or even a couple of 12V 15A ones

its going to be much nicer, cheaper and more compact than a mass of plugpacks
6 amp plugpacks may be really hard to find

You didn't answer my earlier question on what the current was as noted on the cooler/heater label ??

Dave

That's good to hear, this project is slowly becoming more feasible.

The thermo plates are still in the mail, so all I can see right now is what's listed on the amazon page, which only lists the input max at 5.8A.