Connect with us

12 Volts to AC motor

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by Nicholas Ghigo, May 5, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Nicholas Ghigo

Nicholas Ghigo

May 5, 2014
    Hi there

I thought about making my mountain bike electric and i thought about this circuit.

A "12v" to "220v 1200w" inverter that i can hook up with my 12volt battery.
    Then i will plug my ac motor which max amount of wattage does not exceed 1200w to the inverter.

But some of my friends told me it might not work fine because the battery wont last long and that i will need a sort of dynamo to charge the battery while on the go. And they also told me that i will need to assist the motor by padling. Is that true ?

I would like to listen from someone soon.

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Hi Nicholas
    welcome to the forums :)

what sort of battery were you planning to use ? a car battery?
    no, the battery would not last long

Dave

3. Nicholas Ghigo

Nicholas Ghigo

May 5, 2014
    No maby a small 12v lead acid battery. Do you know what kind of battery could be good for the job or what could be done ?

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Most designs for electric bikes use 24V to 36V of batteries (commonly LiFeP04 these days) driving a brushless DC motor through a high efficiency driver.

Lead Acid batteries have relatively low power for their weight, so you have the problem of carrying a lot of extra weight.

I doubt anyone would use a high voltage motor for two reasons:

1. Safety
    2. Efficiency loss (and added weight) of the boost power supply
    Sure, you could have 18 12V batteries to give to the voltage, but (and I speak as one who has connected almost this many lead acid batteries in series) there are some highly significant safety issues -- far more significant that having an inverter...

5. mayilsamy

mayilsamy

May 6, 2014
    Why are you go with AC motors? use DC (BLDC)motor.

If you go with the AC motor you need inverter for a AC to DC. That is adding one more part of your project.

Ask a Question