Maker Pro
Maker Pro

12 volt horn help

gallo 59

Apr 9, 2014
hi guys my name is reyes, new to this forum. Ive been browsing around this forum for a while now as I have an interest in electronics and have got a few ideas from here but I have a question I hope someone on here may be able to help me.

I have a 1959 chevy impala I am currently restoring. I have installed a lot of cool gadgets ive built in the car and made a lot of mechanical accessories to dress up the trunk and dash to display using 12volt actuators, motors and lights. but one project im trying to accomplish im just stuck and cant figure out how to go about accomplishing

I have 4 car horns, 4 different tones A C D F

T2eC16NHJGE9nm3oenBQQBS9Ky060_12_zpsbdef89fa.jpg

but normally when you press the horn all 4 go off at once and cease when you let go of the horn button. but look at this video, at time marker 1:07

the order they sound is A F A C D, and blow in that order for a second each horn to make that musical "see the usa in your Chevrolet" tone.

my question is, what kind of circuit or relay can I achieve this? where at a single push of the horn will set the horns off in that sequence and end when it plays the whole melody. either at the single push of the horn or if I have to hold the horn button while its playing the melody and play over and over then stop when I let go. how is this possible? it would have to be a 12 volt setup to run off the car battery. there has to be some way, it was done with that impala in the commercial that horn was a factory option and its the A C D F electrical not air horns. any help HIGHLY appreciated, thanks in advance guys.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
There are several ways of doing this.

One suggestion is to use a 555 to produce a pulse of the required length. Use this pulse to gently charge a capacitor and then use a LM3914 bargraph display to get up to ten sequencial outputs. Output 1 and 3 will need a couple of diodes to go to the same fet.

You will need some powerful fets to drive the horns and will need some good pulse suppression circuitry for protection.

Another way is to generate a train of pulses perhaps with a 4093 and use a 4017 Johnson counter to give the outputs.

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
Or use a small micro controller. This will make adjustments to the tune easier and could even support multiple tunes depending on how the button is pressed,for example.
You would still need a powerful output stage as for duke's suggestion.