Connect with us

11x42 LED Matrix with Arduino UNO

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by leonardw94, Oct 18, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. leonardw94

leonardw94

Oct 18, 2015
    Hey Forum,
    I'm planning to build an 11x42 LED Matrix for my Daft Punk Helmet .

I decided to split into 2 sub-matrizes, 11x21 each.
    Therefore I will need 11+21 = 32 bits to control each sub-matrix with multiplexing.
    I thought of controlling the matrix with a 32-bit shift register.

The shift registers will be driven an Arduino UNO that also provides the 5V current.

The rows will be the cathodes, the columns will be the anodes.
    I want to scan it row by row, so that every row is on 1/11 of the time.

Now, here's my problem: The number of leds that are lit in one row varies between 0 and 21 obviously. That means the resistance needed varies a lot, too.
    How do make this work and assure all the LED have the same brightness (and don't fry, obviously)?

I've read about some things people used for their matrix, but I don't know which one really solves the problem:

-MAX7219 LED driver
    -Current Driver/ Current Sink
    -Transistors/FETs
    -Darlington Arrays

Also, how do I deal with the odd numbers (11 and 21)? Most of the drivers come in 8 / 16 / 32 bit only.

Thanks for helping! [​IMG]

2. Colin Mitchell

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
    One of the drive lines has only one LED on at a time or no LED. That's the line you put the resistor.
    9% of the time is not going to give very much brightness and you will need sinking transistors.
    You are much better off the have a run of 5 and a run of 6

3. leonardw94

leonardw94

Oct 18, 2015
    Thanks for your answer.
    Is there anything special about sinking transistors? I mean PNP,NPN or something like that?

Also I read that it is possible to power the LEDs with a higher current that would usually make them burn out, but when powered only 1/100 sec, they can take it. Is that true?

4. leonardw94

leonardw94

Oct 18, 2015
Ask a Question