Connect with us

110V voltage divider

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by johnnycash, Aug 8, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. johnnycash


    Aug 8, 2013
    Hello guys, I need some help.

    I know it is a stupid and weird question but I want to know if it is possible. I have a device that has a total of 9.75Ω of resistance and I want to run it with 60V instead of 120V because otherwise it will be to much voltage and melt my device, so that is around 6 AMPs. I want to divide the wall outlet voltage (120V) to my voltage (60V). Is it possible to do it with just plan 2 10KΩ resistors? What kind of resistor do I need to split the voltage without burning out the resistors?
  2. (*steve*)

    (*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

    Jan 21, 2010
    What are you actually trying to do?

    It seems like you have a 360W device that you want to operate. If you split the mains with resistors you will waste about 3600W (if you want your voltage to be within 10%).

    The type of resistors needed are called "impossibly huge".

    Even a series resistance (presuming your device is resistive in nature) would waste another 360W.

    The traditional approach would be to use a transformer with appropriate voltages and a secondary rated for about 7.5A or more.
  3. johnnycash


    Aug 8, 2013
    I see thank you. My best bet is to find a transformer to do the conversion for me.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day