Connect with us

10KHz-55Khz transformer

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by Kieth Greiner, Jun 30, 2007.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. I am looking for an output transformer that will do 10KHz to 55KHz
    with a reasonable degree of linearity of the entire range.

    Is this possible? If so, what type and construction should I be
    looking at.

    Ketih Greiner
  2. Bruce Varley

    Bruce Varley Guest

    I presume you mean 'reasonably flat frequency response'. I made an
    ultrasonic drive transformer with a large ferrite toroid and bifilar
    windings. The toroid was about 80mm OD, cross section maybe 15 x 10mm. Can't
    recall the number of turns, or the actual LF rolloff, but it was 'several
    KHz'. It went to well above 50, and handled a heap of watts.

    All this will also depend on what power capability you require, btw.
  3. Joerg

    Joerg Guest

    Kieth Greiner wrote:

    Sure. Best would be to get some #77 ferrite toroids. Amidon would be one
    source. Maybe 3/4" O.D. if you don't have to transfer a lot of power,
    else get a fat one. If you want to be extra good you can twist the
    windings to make it bifilar. The ARRL Handbook usually has some nice
    pictures in there on how to wind it, probably also on the web somewhere.

    It can also be done with other cores, for example pot cores scrapped out
    of computer power supplies.
  4. Wimpie

    Wimpie Guest

    Hello Kieth,

    Whether this is simple depends on some other specifications. I am
    thinking of power (voltage and current) to be transferred, isolation
    voltage and capacitance (between windings), DC current through
    windings, etc..

    When the isolation is functional only (so no electrical safety is
    involved), and requirements with capacitance are not that stringent,
    it can be easily done up to several hundreds VA. However when there
    must be very low capacitance or (for example) 3500V double insulation
    safety requirement, it will be more difficult to keep low both linear
    and non-linear distortion.

    Maybe you can provide us some more information.

    Best regards,

  5. This device is called current compensated inductor
    and has two windings of equal numbers.
    Used in power filters and such.

  6. Joerg

    Joerg Guest

    In American that would be called "common-mode choke". But the core
    saturates real quick and you have to check the breakdown voltage between
    the windings. It's usually not very high.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day