Maker Pro
Maker Pro

1000w DC to AC Power Inverter MOSFET Fried, Need Replacement...

Mastiffman

Jul 24, 2012
Hello all!

I'm new to the forum and have this inverter that needs 3 MOSFETS replaced.

The Only Numbers that are on the MOSFETs are as follows:

IRFZ44
IR 827f
22 78

If anyone could direct me to exactly Which Mosfet I need and from where I would greatly appreciate it.

Andrew C.

john monks

Mar 9, 2012
IRFZ44 at Digi Key
IR827 at 4 star electronics
22 78 haven't a clue.
Do you have a make and model number of your inverter?

Last edited:

Mastiffman

Jul 24, 2012
IRFZ44 at Digi Key
IR827 at 4 star electronics
22 78 haven't a clue.
Do you have a make and model number of your inverter?

Thanks for the resopnse.

Just so you know they are all the same MOSFET and those numbers are all of the numbers of Each of them. So they all have the same numbers and these that follow are all on each MOSFET....

IRFZ44
IR 827f
22 78

Those are all on the MOSFETS Surfaces.

The Inverter is a Whistler PP1000AC 1000w/2000w surge Modified Sine Wave Inverter.

Mastiffman

Jul 24, 2012
I three of these that need replacing and they all have all of those numbers on them..

How do I know which MOSFET will work?

Thanks

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
You need IRFZ44 MOSFETs the other numbers are manufacture specific identification values, and without knowing the manufactures coding you will have a hard time figuring it out...

I'm going to guess the IR is an International Rectifier brand, the 827f is likely an internal number possibly a rated for application value, the other numbers likely indicated a manufacturing plant and/or date...

*** Edit to add photo for clarification, of what I suspected just reversed...

attachment.php

Attachments

• irfz44.jpg
    irfz44.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 9,362
Last edited:

Mastiffman

Jul 24, 2012
You need IRFZ44 MOSFETs the other numbers are manufacture specific identification values, and without knowing the manufactures coding you will have a hard time figuring it out...

I'm going to guess the IR is an International Rectifier brand, the 827f is likely an internal number possibly a rated for application value, the other numbers likely indicated a manufacturing plant and/or date...

Thanks for responding...

How would I go about finding the Manufaturers Coding?

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
See my edited post, you have to identify the manufacture and see if they share, it likely makes zero difference to you in most cases...

Mastiffman

Jul 24, 2012
See my edited post, you have to identify the manufacture and see if they share, it likely makes zero difference to you in most cases...

Gotcha! Very nice and Thank you...

SO I just Need a IRFZ44 then? Don't they have different Ratings as far as Voltages and Ohms? If so how would I go about making sure that I have the right one for my Whistler PP1000AC Inverter?

Thanks!

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
The IRFZ44 is a designated part number, it thus has rating values associated with that part number, they might vary a little bit from manufacture to manufacture but unless the equipment was foolishly pushing an odd ball brand over the normal limits of the IRFZ44, any IRFZ44 should work... If you are concerned pull up the datasheet on a few different brands and compare them, choose the one that might be specified at little higher in the voltage area or whatever... You will likely see they are all very similar if not identical...

Last edited:

Mastiffman

Jul 24, 2012
The IRFZ44 is a designated part number, it thus has rating values associated with that part number, they might vary a little bit from manufacture to manufacture but unless the equipment was foolishly pushing an odd ball brand over the normal limits of the IRFZ44, any IRFZ44 should work... If you are concerned pull up the datasheet on a few different brands and compare them, choose the one that might be specified at little higher in the voltage area or whatever... You will likely see they are all very similar if not identical...

Awesome! Thank you for the information and encouragement!

What are soem other brands to pull up other than IR?

Great Forum and Thanks again!

Last edited:

Mastiffman

Jul 24, 2012
Okay,

So I'm getting these Specs from that page for the IRFZ44: (all of these IRFZ44's have Letters after them) Mine doesn't have any. How should I choose wisely? Should I go with the 60v/57a or should I try and figure out the Proper v/a ratings of the current MOSFET's?

1. 55v/49a
2. 55v/51a
3. 60v/36a
4. 60v/48a
5. 60v/50a
6. 60v/55a
7. 60v/57a

Thanks.

Last edited:

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
As I stated earlier you are really starting to over think this, chances are they are not pushing the chip to the maximum limits, looking at the part it appears 60V @ 50A is the most common and would likely work just fine, but since the 60V @ 57A is the same package and easily obtained, just get that one if you have any concerns as it's rating will cover all bases...

Mastiffman

Jul 24, 2012
As I stated earlier you are really starting to over think this, chances are they are not pushing the chip to the maximum limits, looking at the part it appears 60V @ 50A is the most common and would likely work just fine, but since the 60V @ 57A is the same package and easily obtained, just get that one if you have any concerns as it's rating will cover all bases...

I understand. So it will be okay if the 3 that I replace are differnt than the others just like it that are still good?

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Yes... Although if 3 blew it might be wise to simply replace all of them so you are not opening it up and doing it again next week...

Mastiffman

Jul 24, 2012
Yes... Although if 3 blew it might be wise to simply replace all of them so you are not opening it up and doing it again next week...

Well the only reason that it blew was because it was only hooked up to one 12v battery and it had a circular saw plugged in a ran. This is what I believe did it...